[CF-Devel] Bug: show invisible and burning items

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sun Jan 21 20:18:02 CST 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > I had some fight to do, and after it i cast show inv

      > to unhide to door.

      > But only the "flash" comes out at the map point where the door is,

      > but the door don't appear.

      True, this happens. It is more a map bug I think.

      Items with flag "invisible 1" become visible on show-inv,

      so do items placed under the map-floor.

      The hidden oakdoor in "s_f/st3" is BOTH under the floor and

      "invisible 1". In this case show-inv. fails, and that is

      intentional (There must be some means of hiding stuff

      from all too curious players).

 The pup lands maps were done before enhancements to show invisible (so it
doesn't show things like magic ears and what not) was added, so it is certainly
possible the map is presuming a different behaviour.

      > How show invisible works? Should it not unhide all invisible ?

      > When not, it should, its a pain like in maps for pupland where whole sets

      > work with it.

      > I don't want enter a map x times, because i have a random in the show

      > invisible code.

      No, don't worry. This doesn't happen anywhere else to my knowing.

      However, a short note on show-invisible:

      While making maps I realized that we need a (simple and clean) way to

      mark any given object both as "invisible" and "not affectable by show-inv".

      Typical example: I want to make an invisible teleporter, it has to be

      on top of the map-floor, but I don't want the player to discover it

      via sho-inv. Currently this is not possible (except for one dirty

      workaround).

 Right - some flag that determines if show invisible should work/not work for
that object is needed.  However, that is a bit of work to update all the arch's
and maps to use it (coding it probably would not be too hard - in fact, it would
simplify the show invisible function).

 Whether the flag should be a positive flag (show invisible works for this
object) or negative (even with show invis, this should remain invis) should
probably be determined by the relative number of objects (and their use) that
fall into the category, and the method chosen should be such that requires
minimal changes to the arch and maps.