[CF-Devel] Karate moves

Joel South joel at mamia.prninfo.com
Sun Jan 21 18:54:28 CST 2001

   Ok,this is the third time i've sent this message. It never gets through
 and I think I know why. I think i've been sending it to AV the whole time.

      I think "moves" for martial arts is a very nice idea. If done right,

      it would be a lot of fun to play. Monks need some source of serious

      attacking power. These "dragonball-style" martial arts would make up

      for the lack of weapons. They could even pose an alternative to weapons

      in general.

   I thought up this idea when I tried playing as a monk a few days ago. I
 didn't really like them because of the lack of attacking power. I wanted to
 pick a monk because I thought they would be cool.

      Okay, okay... I know coding this will be a lot of work.

      And currently I don't see time to do it myself.

      If more people favout the idea, maybe we can at least add it in the

      TODO file for now?

  I've talked to some players on MiDS' server,including michtoen. And they
 like the idea. I have yet to ask MiDS himself. I hope to see this in
 crossfire someday if not sooner. It would be a shame to abandon the idea.

      A few notes how I could imagine to realize it:

      o Split the moves into two cathegories:

        1) "melee moves" (like lightning kick)

           Those do nothing but modify dam, wc and eventually attacktypes

           for melee.

        2) "special moves" (like energy balls)

           These would basically be spells like the wizard and cleric ones.

           Only difference: They charge HP instead of mana/grace.

           (These HP go for the extreme physical and menthal effort to

           perform such a special move.)

   The first moves would be basic ones like front kick,lunge punch,side
 kick,ect. There would be blocks,Judo moves,kicks,punches,ect. Then the
player would learn ones like paralyzing touch,counter(a move that blocks the
enemy and does damage to him),and disarm(a move that disarms the enemy of
his weapon).
   Then there would be fairly good ones like paralyzing touch and quivering
 fist. Finally,at like level 20 the player would reach a state of attunement
 to the forces of nature. He would have the power to manipulate raw
 energies. He could use them in his fighting with moves like power punch and
 power kick and channel and could channel his energies through the elements.
 Using attacks like fire punch and lightning kicks,or using moves like
 fireblast. He could also use his raw energies in their purest forms,like
 energy bolt(not like firebolt,more like magic bullet except more
powerful,it would take about 2-5 HP to perform),and spirit bomb(the best
move,a large white orb larger than a manaball,making a large explosion of
energy.). I also thought of a cool move,energy blade. Energy blade would be
a "golem",kind of like dancing sword. It would do a lot of damage and take
about 15 HP to perform.
  Also,I thought of another cool idea. At about level 40,the martial artist
would transform into something like a "super sahen". Perhaps half-orcs and
trolls could transform into something more grusome. The "super sahen" move
would change the characters pick.(If this idea is too much work abandon it.
But I would like to see this in crossfire.) The character would get high
fighting stats and his hp would be doubled. With the cost of his mana and
grace being brought down to zero. His speed would also be increased.

      o A very important question yet unsolved: How do we evoke/select

        certain moves from martial arts?

        This might be the real difficult part involved.

        I could see two possible ways:

        a) Make a command like ">perform dragon punch", similar to

           usage of spells.

        b) Create street-fighter-style special move key-combos.

           Of course this would be VERY hard to code.

           And probably not very efficient.

      o New moves would be available with increasing skill levels.

        Maybe put martial arts in a seperate skill-cathegory

        (Either create a new one, or maybe use "menthal").

        That way normal warriors wouldn't automatically have all benefits

        from martial arts available.

 Yeah,after all,the studiers of karate are supposed to seek perfection of
mind and spirit more than body. Perhaps a new skill should be made like
concentration. If a new skill is made like concentration,perhaps meditation
should be moved here.

        The whole thing would be far more exciting if there

        were more requirements than skill level in order to learn

        new moves. Maybe NPCs (martial art gurus) teaching certain moves?

        These could then be put at the end of a quest.

  Yeah,you could learn most moves by advancing in level. But some would be
taught by gurus. Perhaps there could be dojos to train in and learn new
moves.
                      Joel Southall