[CF-Devel] Karate moves

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sat Jan 20 19:41:49 CST 2001

      I think the monk should have more advantages than it does. So I

      thought,karate should have moves. Lesser moves like various

     punches,various

      kicks like front kick,side kick,jump kick. Also varios Judo moves. Moves

      like "Quivering Fist". You would learn new moves as you advanced in level.

      Then the more powerful moves. I see it like this. Having advanced himself

     in

      the art of karate,the player would become attuned to the forces of life.

     And

      now having the ability to channel raw energy in many ways. Using punches

     or

      kicks of pure energy,or channeling the raw energies into elements like

      fire,ice,or lightning. Having attacks like lightning kicks(super fast

     kicks

      attacking with electricity) or thunder kick (one powerful kick attacking

      electricity). Finally the player could fire energy bolts(not like fire

      bolt,more like magic bullet),energy blasts,and spirit bombs(exploding

     balls

      of energy). The really powerful moves like spirit bomb,energy blast,and

      energy bolt would take away Hp from the user and do a massive amount of

      damage to the target.  The element and Hp idea is credited to Andreas

     Vogl.

I think "moves" for martial arts is a very nice idea. If done right,
it would be a lot of fun to play. Monks need some source of serious
attacking power. These "dragonball-style" martial arts would make up
for the lack of weapons. They could even pose an alternative to weapons
in general.

Okay, okay... I know coding this will be a lot of work.
And currently I don't see time to do it myself.
If more people favout the idea, maybe we can at least add it in the
TODO file for now?

A few notes how I could imagine to realize it:

o Split the moves into two cathegories:
  1) "melee moves" (like lightning kick)
     Those do nothing but modify dam, wc and eventually attacktypes
     for melee.
  2) "special moves" (like energy balls)
     These would basically be spells like the wizard and cleric ones.
     Only difference: They charge HP instead of mana/grace.
     (These HP go for the extreme physical and menthal effort to
     perform such a special move.)

o A very important question yet unsolved: How do we evoke/select
  certain moves from martial arts?
  This might be the real difficult part involved.
  I could see two possible ways:
  a) Make a command like ">perform dragon punch", similar to
     usage of spells.
  b) Create street-fighter-style special move key-combos.
     Of course this would be VERY hard to code.
     And probably not very efficient.

o New moves would be available with increasing skill levels.
  Maybe put martial arts in a seperate skill-cathegory
  (Either create a new one, or maybe use "menthal").
  That way normal warriors wouldn't automatically have all benefits
  from martial arts available.

  The whole thing would be far more exciting if there
  were more requirements than skill level in order to learn
  new moves. Maybe NPCs (martial art gurus) teaching certain moves?
  These could then be put at the end of a quest.

Andreas V.