[CF-Devel] Editor questions (mostly java editor)

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Jul 4 18:06:50 CDT 2001

 Is there any general consensus on whether the java editor is good enough to
replace the Xt based crossedit program?

 Main reason I ask is I'm working on adding the map tiling feature to the server
code, and in the process have redone the way the map object is handled (simply
put, instead of having a map object which we load values into with various
meanings, I just load that directly into the map structure itself).  I don't
really want to have to decipher the callbacks in the crossedit to get that
working, especially if it is going to go away soon.

 I'm sure the the java editor will also need some modifications also, but
hopefully it doesn't rely on using the same object structure quite as much (part
of the change above was to also make the variables names in both the file and in
the structure to have meaningful names.  Of course, the server will still
support using the old names.  I do notice that the java editor does not have
fields for some of these attributes right now in its map attribute window.

 For reference, this is what I have so far:

The map variables now make some sense, and are only stored in the
map structure itself.  I still include the old value (the 'was') so
if you are looking at old maps, you know what they mean.  Generally
speaking, the values in the map files themselves match the same element
name in the map structure.

'width','height', was 'x','y': Size of the map.

'enter_x', 'enter_y', was ('hp','sp') = (x,y) of the destination on the
        new map.  These are only used if the exit does not have a specific
        location set.

'reset_timeout', was 'weight': stores the number of seconds that need
   to elapse before this map will be reset.  Ie, if 1800, it means this
   map expires after 30 minutes.  This value is not modified once loaded -
   instead reset_time is used to track this.

'swap_time', was 'value': This controls how many ticks must elapse
    after the map has not been used before it gets swapped out.
    swapping out is different than reset, as a swapped out map will
    get loaded back into memory if someone re-visits it before it is due to
    reset.

'difficulty', was 'level' stores the map difficulty.  If not set to
    anything, the server code will try to come up with some difficulty value.

'fixed_resettime', was 'stand_still': If nonzero, the map reset time will not
        be updated when someone enters/exits the map.  Thus, once the map has
        been loaded, it will reset in 'reset time' no matter what access
        happen.  This is useful for shops and towns, which are constantly
        accessed, but should be reset periodically.

'darkness', was 'invisible'.  Light/darnkess of map (overall).  If 0,
        all of map is fully bright.

'unique' - if set, this entire map is unique.  Exactly unique to what
        will depend on how it was created (it could be a per player
        unique map, or maybe a common map that is just permanent for
        all the players.