[CF-Devel] Editor questions (mostly java editor)

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 10:45:12 CDT 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      Is there any general consensus on whether the java editor is good

      enough to replace the Xt based crossedit program?

I think there is no doubt the Java Editor can and will replace
Crossedit. - However, don't set your expectations about the Java Editor
too high right now. It is still work-in-progress. The base structure
is completed and it's usable, but many features known from crossedit
will need to be coded into the new Editor before we can say that it
"officially outstripped crossedit".

You've made some suggestions about features to the Java Editor in
a followup post Mark. This adresses exactly what I said above.
I agree to all of your suggestions and I'm working on some of it,
but I just don't have the time to do it all at once, nor does MT. ;)

In the long run I think the Java Editor has some big potential
advatages over Crossedit:
- Java can be run on any OS. That's pretty cool.
- Many people want to learn Java - Few people ever like to learn
  about the Xt toolkit.

Andreas V.