[CF-Devel] Java Editor Questions/Notes

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Jul 4 18:19:28 CDT 2001

 I tried firing up the java editor and have a few questions/notes.

 First, I'm using JDK 1.4 beta, so I did need to recompile.  Once that was done,
I was able to run it just fine.

 I notice a lot of the images have bogus transperencies (instead of having a
transperency, it has a dark blue/black one instead), but quite a few work just
fine.

 I was also unable to select on anything in the map window once I loaded a map.
The tracking information (mouse position and relative x,y values on the map) at
the bottom of the screen appeared correct, but clicking any of the mouse buttons
did not do anything.  I was able to click on the object type tabs, and then the
objects within those tabs themselves, so it does appear the the app is at least
getting some of the clicks.  Anyone know what to do to fix this?

 I like the view options (show monster, show exit).  I would suggest that a
'clear all' option may be in order - if you've selected a few and now want to go
back to see everything, but able to do that quickly would be nice.

 Any plans to make let the editor load from the built versions of the archetype
and .png file?  I would guess that would make start time quite a bick quicker.
It also means that if the user already has the server distribution with those
files and does not plan to make any archetype changes, they can use those
instead of needing to download the arch distribution in addition to what they
have.

 Minor point - if the user selects a multi part object from the selection list,
perhaps show the full sized piece in the information pain below that are (that
one that lists the name, type, etc) if there is space?

 All in all, it looks pretty solid.  I just need to figure out how I can
insert/delete/change things and then I could play around with it more.