[CF-Devel] Java Editor Questions/Notes

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Wed Jul 4 18:31:35 CDT 2001

Quoting Mark Wedel (

     mwedel at scruz.net

     ):

       First, I'm using JDK 1.4 beta, so I did need to recompile.  Once that was

       done, I was able to run it just fine.

I have found lots of bugs in JDK 1.4 (from other Java projects I am working on),
so I have went back to jdk1.3-rc1. What is even better is IBMJava2-SDK-1.3-8.0,
it "fixes" the font problems in Linux.

       I was also unable to select on anything in the map window once I loaded a

       map.  The tracking information (mouse position and relative x,y values on the

       map) at the bottom of the screen appeared correct, but clicking any of the

JDK 1.4's swing stuff just sucks. That is the only way I can put it. 1.3's swing
stuff is not much better. Again IBM's jdk is better, but still not perfect.

As an aside, I don't know how much bigger the editor will get, but I highly
recommend making it use ant for building purposes and if possible jikes, since
it's open source and easily compiles on non-intel, non-linux architectures.

--
Bob Tanner <

     tanner at real-time.com

     http://www.mn-linux.org