[CF-Devel] Java Editor Questions/Notes

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Jul 4 19:32:55 CDT 2001

Bob Tanner wrote:

      I have found lots of bugs in JDK 1.4 (from other Java projects I am working on),

      so I have went back to jdk1.3-rc1. What is even better is IBMJava2-SDK-1.3-8.0,

      it "fixes" the font problems in Linux.

 Thanks Bob.  That fixed the problem - everything now appears to be working they
way it should (including transperencies in the png images)

 Given then, a few more minor suggestions:

1) Make the message area for objects bigger (maybe have another tab that is
'message' after the
script tab?)  Even if I resize the windows, the message area remains the same
size (about 4 30 character lines)

2) I notice that both the right and middle mouse button does the same thing on
the map window - insert the current object.  Would be nice if one of those would
delete the top object instead (this more mimics the behaviour of the old editor,
and IMO would also be a time saver, as less mouse movement need to delete the
object on a space.

3) Not sure how important this one is, but the old editor had an option to enter
a map.  Basically, you select an exit on one map, and then select enter from a
pull down menu and it would load the map that the exit points to and select the
exit space on the destination map by default.  I have found that handy in the
fast to see where maps lead and to make sure the exits line up properly.

4) Once again, not sure how important this one is, but maybe put in a 'show
lighting effects' option?  This obviously can't take into account lightsources
the player may bring/create, but could certainly show relative illumination of
the different spaces as would be expected from the static sources.  This would
probably make it easier to map designers to see what the lighting effects
actually are.

 Just suggestions.  To MT and others that have done work on the editor, great
job.