[CF-Devel] Editor questions (mostly java editor)

Bob Tanner tanner at real-time.com
Fri Jul 6 00:04:52 CDT 2001

Quoting Mark Wedel (

     mwedel at scruz.net

     ):

      > In the long run I think the Java Editor has some big potential

      > advatages over Crossedit:

      > - Java can be run on any OS. That's pretty cool.

      > - Many people want to learn Java - Few people ever like to learn

      >   about the Xt toolkit.

       Agree with both of those.

There are some pitfalls.

Swing can be a pain in the butt.

Java is write once and almost run everywhere Swing's look-n-feel can put a
headache into your day.

Non-Microsoft people know there is only 1 Java specification, but many MS
developers forget this and start to callback to Win32 APIs.

Must of these we have software at my company by picking one JDK and one JVM for
deployment. You can develop on whatever you want, but deployment is IBM's Jikes
compiler and IBM's JVM.

--
Bob Tanner <

     tanner at real-time.com