[CF-Devel] Editor questions (mostly java editor)

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Jul 5 23:58:37 CDT 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I think there is no doubt the Java Editor can and will replace

      Crossedit. - However, don't set your expectations about the Java Editor

      too high right now. It is still work-in-progress. The base structure

      is completed and it's usable, but many features known from crossedit

      will need to be coded into the new Editor before we can say that it

      "officially outstripped crossedit".

 I notice that.  But OTOH, it does seem to be pretty capable right now, ie, you
could create a map.  I would guess that probably the biggest shortfall is that
it doesn't have the custom dialogue boxes for the different object types (ie,
for an exit, crossedit pops up a window that asks for exit path and well as
destination coordinates, so the designer doesn't need to know that those really
go into the slaying and sp/hp fields.

      In the long run I think the Java Editor has some big potential

      advatages over Crossedit:

      - Java can be run on any OS. That's pretty cool.

      - Many people want to learn Java - Few people ever like to learn

        about the Xt toolkit.

 Agree with both of those.