[CF-Devel] new title,name, gender and race naming

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Jul 17 23:34:32 CDT 2001

 As a very recent thread suggested, removing the ability of the player to set
the title is the first step.

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Lord = Title & Gender

      Darkmoon = Name

      Dwarf = race

      Paladin of Light = Profession

 as a note, the last should probably be 'class of god'.  Ie, Paladin of
Lythander, Priest of Gorokh, etc.

      Name & Race are known.

 as is class and god.

      This needs the addition of gender information, which is easy (i like the

      different gender chars

      in wyvern for example).

 As I think I suggested in another message, I would certainly at some point like
to see the archs modified so that every arch has 2 names - a single name and
plural name.  This fixes some bugs (where we don't plural a name correctly
because it doesn't follow simple english rules), and also makes life simpler
(remove need_ie flag, etc).

 For player archs, this second name could be used as the second gender (you
won't have need to use that for real plural of things like the class of pc
race).

 Presumably, to make a title permanent, an object would need to get added into
the characters inventory which now says the title is Lord/Lady, Count/Countess,
etc.

 If you only want each character to have one title, this may get a little
trickier, as it means that maps that grant this need to be consistent
(presumably, some field in the object that contains the title can be used to say
how notable this title is, so if you do something, the code only changes the
title if the new one is of higher noteworthiness).

 But it has been suggested, and I think I like this better, is that a character
could have multiple titles.  Tiberius, The Priest of Gorokh, Slayer of the
Dragon King, Destroyer of the Crypt Keeper, ....

 The first few - Tiberius (name), The Priest (class) of Gorokh (god) would be
calculated from the start.  The second would be various rewards as gained
through adventuring.

 The only worry about this is that this could get to be a very long string no
one really cares about.

 But to be honest, I've never ever really cared much what the title of the
character is.