[CF-Devel] SDL CFClient - Alpha Release in CVS

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Sun Jul 29 08:35:47 CDT 2001

I just want to add a few comments about my part of that work (porting).

      The client runs now on win32 and linux - testing on Solaris, BeOS and MacOS

      X shows it will run there too!

     It seems to run on Solaris, BeOS and MacOSX. But I suggest not expecting too
much for thoses until more complete tests are finished. Anyway, since the
client uses BSD sockets, any system based on those having the SDL libraries
should run fine. If you encounter problems, please tell me.

      On a P3 500/192mb with win98, i got around 50-55 fps in windowed mode

      staying and 40-50 when running.

      Fullscreen its always between 90-111 fps.

      On linux system you can only get between 6-20 fps. Remember you don't has a

      low level driver system

      there for 2D blits and pay the price for the more secure driver system.

As I already said, fps are not a very good mesure for performance comparaison
in crossfire, because the bottleneck here is the speed at which the server
can send/receive datas. You also need to know the average number of packets
transmitted by seconds in each direction (nps). If nps>fps, then it is a
problem; if not, it isn't.
And Linux does have accelerated 2D-blits too (integrated in the XAA of
X-Window).
I didn't encountered speed problems while running the SDL client under Linux.
(It was running more or less at the same speed as the GTK client). However,
if it causes problems to anyone, let me know.

Chachkoff Yann