[CF-Devel] SDL CFClient - Alpha Release in CVS

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Sat Jul 28 13:08:02 CDT 2001

Hi

Ok, here we go: The first and only pure SDL client for crossfire.

At the moment, this client is for iso cf - so the skins etc are for iso
view,
but you *can* login in a normal server for testing - its just log ugly.

The client runs now on win32 and linux - testing on Solaris, BeOS and MacOS
shows it will run there too!

First a word to the performance - we still are testing.

At the moment, the client trys to blit every loop a full frame. So, he use
alot of CPU (maximal
of course). This will change of course. Also, i blit the whole skin and then
most part again -
thats also for testing, so there is some performance hidden.

On a P3 500/192mb with win98, i got around 50-55 fps in windowed mode
staying and 40-50 when running.
Fullscreen its always between 90-111 fps.

On linux system you can only get between 6-20 fps. Remember you don't has a
low level driver system
there for 2D blits and pay the price for the more secure driver system.

One should go and include OpenGL support for the client, then the blitter
should use hardware support
when possible (i don't know about OpenGl performance in windowed mode).

Use --help to see the cmd line options. You can try -warp and -hw to boost
performance.
The linux user should create a database about best options/X-Windows inits
to get good
SDL performance - even small changes are critical!

How to run a iso server?

For full testing, setup a normal server and copy the iso arch data from this
package

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~michtoen/sdl_client/isoserverdata.zip

over the server data in share folder.

The copy this special HallOfSelection map over the HallOfSelection from the
normal
map set.

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~michtoen/sdl_client/HallOfSelection

Also, as example for media tags, download this package and copy it in the
CLIENT folder,
where the sdl_client exe is

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~michtoen/sdl_client/media.zip

The media folder must be in the same folder then the cache folder is.

The file cfkeys.sdl hold the key binds.

** I don't include the key bind menu yet, i will do it ASAP **

So, you must include the scankey numbers by hand!
Start for this the client with -key option and write down the scancode,
which is shown in the text window for every pressed key.

Ok, this is for testing, no other docs, some unfinished stuff...
But its full playable!

Next is, to finish the client and start map&arch works!

Well, i STILL search one, who draw me the inventory doll!

look here

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~michtoen/sdl_client/mockup3.gif

it should look like this (but not to same please!).

Michael