[CF List] Too stupid...

Sean Michael Whipkey highway at cstone.net
Tue Jul 3 11:42:55 CDT 2001

Jan wrote:

      Can somebody help me a bit in the right direction, please?

      Are there any written instructions (I think I've read

      all the spoilers etc)?

I'm actually working on rewriting the Spoilers, starting with Scorn.

Here are some suggestions:

* Get an apartment as soon as you can.  It helps incredibly by letting
you lighten your load, save things, etc.
* If you don't start with piety, learn it or get a holy symbol.  The
bonuses of following a god help a lot.
* If you're having problems with certain monsters, check out the
spoilers on the monsters and see what they're vulnerable to and what
they attack with.  You may be attacking a monster with something it's
immune to.
* Use potions and ring combinations depending on what you're fighting.
Fighting black puddings?  Use a ring of acid.  Beholders?  Switch to
magic resistance.
* Never be happy with armor or weapons that are simply +x.  Instead,
look for artifacts!  Those help you *much* more.
* If you're running low on money, sell EVERYTHING you come across.  Get
to know certain areas that are good for lots of plat.
* Take the time to replay certain quests so that you can get the XP and
the plat.
* If you're stuck somewhere, find another player who is willing to
help.  For example, on my server, a number of us split the cost of a
house in Stoneville to pool our resources.  That way when the wraith
mage found a Warrior's Helmet it helped my half-ork fighter, and when I
found a Ring of Adamant I gave it to the wraith.  You can also tag team
high XP areas and work together.
* This sounds stupid, but it helped me - find certain areas where you
can get XP easily and just try to hit them regularly.  For example, if
you get a weapon that does anything other than physical damage (such as
weaponmagic or electricity) I use it to kill every city guard and royal
guard I come across.  That adds up, after all.  I also use areas like
the beginning of raffle2 to boost up magic XP - I'd go down there with
some potions of magic, lob off a few fireballs, recharge, lob off a few
more, and eventually wrack up some good XP.

If you'd like a preliminary copy of the spoilers for Scorn, let me know.

SeanMike