[CF List] Too stupid...

Andrew D. Bagdanov andrew at science.uva.nl
Tue Jul 3 12:12:05 CDT 2001

Sean Michael Whipkey writes:
 > Jan wrote:
 > > Can somebody help me a bit in the right direction, please?
 > > Are there any written instructions (I think I've read
 > > all the spoilers etc)?
 >
 > I'm actually working on rewriting the Spoilers, starting with Scorn.

Cool...  I have a few additions that might be useful as well...  See
below.

 > Here are some suggestions:
 >
 > * Get an apartment as soon as you can.  It helps incredibly by letting
 > you lighten your load, save things, etc.
 > * If you don't start with piety, learn it or get a holy symbol.  The
 > bonuses of following a god help a lot.
 > * If you're having problems with certain monsters, check out the
 > spoilers on the monsters and see what they're vulnerable to and what
 > they attack with.  You may be attacking a monster with something it's
 > immune to.
 > * Use potions and ring combinations depending on what you're fighting.
 > Fighting black puddings?  Use a ring of acid.  Beholders?  Switch to
 > magic resistance.

It's also useful to setup keybindings to quickly switch between "modes"
of play.  I use essentially three modes:  smash and bash, wizard, and
priest.  I set up the keybindings so that I can switch to the most
appropriate set of rings, armor, etc. with a minimum of fuss.

 > * Never be happy with armor or weapons that are simply +x.  Instead,
 > look for artifacts!  Those help you *much* more.
 > * If you're running low on money, sell EVERYTHING you come across.  Get
 > to know certain areas that are good for lots of plat.
 > * Take the time to replay certain quests so that you can get the XP and
 > the plat.
 > * If you're stuck somewhere, find another player who is willing to
 > help.  For example, on my server, a number of us split the cost of a
 > house in Stoneville to pool our resources.  That way when the wraith
 > mage found a Warrior's Helmet it helped my half-ork fighter, and when I
 > found a Ring of Adamant I gave it to the wraith.  You can also tag team
 > high XP areas and work together.

You might also be lucky enough to find some generous soul who will
give you an appropriate artifact when you're starting out, or create a
party with you so you can gain some levels where you're lacking.  If
someone does this for you, remember it when you replay those quests
and start getting duplicate artifacts so that you can help the next
guy.

 > * This sounds stupid, but it helped me - find certain areas where you
 > can get XP easily and just try to hit them regularly.  For example, if
 > you get a weapon that does anything other than physical damage (such as
 > weaponmagic or electricity) I use it to kill every city guard and royal
 > guard I come across.  That adds up, after all.  I also use areas like
 > the beginning of raffle2 to boost up magic XP - I'd go down there with
 > some potions of magic, lob off a few fireballs, recharge, lob off a few
 > more, and eventually wrack up some good XP.

A list of these places might be a good idea.  The giant floor of
raffle1 is excellent for gaining physical, magic, and wisdom (if
you're a Mostrai devotee) exp.  See the above note about switching
between "modes" easily.  When I was starting out I would launch
fireballs into the giants until out of mana, then switch to holy word
of Mostrai while I was recharging.  When that got boring I would move
(a little way) into the room for some phys.

Be careful that you don't become a "point monger", though.  I see many
players who become so entranced with watching their exp rack up that
this is all they do.  It's very important to get "real" experience by
exploring and trying some of the quests.  I'd rather have a sensible,
balanced, and experienced level 10-15 character of any class along
with me on the Titans Quest or Warrior Tower ordeal that a level 30
character who spends hours mechanically racking up exp in the raffles.

 > If you'd like a preliminary copy of the spoilers for Scorn, let me know.

Yes, please...

-Andy (Beleg)