[CF List] Too stupid...

Kimmo Hoikka Kimmo.Hoikka at Digia.com
Thu Jul 5 07:37:21 CDT 2001

Mark Wedel wrote:

      "Andrew D. Bagdanov" wrote:

      > You're probably right...  Although I don't think having artifacts as a

      > newbie upsets the game balance too much, it does devalue the worth of

      > artifacts in general.

       There are probably two main perspectives on this:

      1) As a player, you get these gifts and say 'wow cool- this is so great, and

      makes life easier'.

      2) As a developer/map designer, they see this get done and meant that artifact

      for higher level

      characters.

And it often leads to downgrade on the artifact bonuses (like the wdsm) and there no
longer exists high level artifacts that only the best players can achieve

       It has been suggested in the past the items should have different minimum level

      requirements before a person could use it.  I would venture to say that those

      suggestions are in large part due to the frequent gifting of powerful artifacts

      to low level characters (as I believe all artifacts themselves are located at

      appropriate level, so that min level requirement would probably never kick in

      for characters that got the artifact themself).

This would be really good idea. Self made weapons already have that kind of ability
so why not all artifacts? Then you could really have some artifacts for the really
high level chars that could have better bonuses than the best artifacts now, since
there was no fear of too low level chars getting those and the higher level char
would really have a point on taking those really tough quests. Now for example there
is no point on taking the quest for Lorkas since the turban of heavens is no better
than other helmets and the risk of dying versus the exp is high.

      But it was mentioned that things like money or other common gifts are OK.  This

      in itself if tricky - giving a first level character 500 plat will make their

      life much easier (they can probably afford at least +2 items of the appropriate

      type for their character).  And I know that if I have duplicate artifacts, I'll

      sell the extra one to a shop, which means someone could come up and buy it.

       At the same time however, it is a multi player game, and if these exchanges

      never took place, it looses some of that.

       My personal thought is selling/trading objects is very reasonable - especially

      if it is something that is fairly common but the shops may be sold out of.  If a

      person needs a potion of life and you have a pile, selling it for a fair price

      seems completely reasonably to me (the the payment may just be future

      consideration, ie, return the favor perhaps or give some other potion).

       But dropping off a set of +3 dragon mail to the less than 5'th level character

      because you don't need it seems a bit execessive on generousity.

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com