[CF List] Too stupid...

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Jul 11 22:41:04 CDT 2001

"Andrew D. Bagdanov" wrote:

      This is a very good idea.  The full bonuses wouldn't even necessarily

      have to be given, it could say something more ambiguous like:

      It would be interesting to have to go through all the trash in your

      apartment every once and a while to see if there are any artifacts

      that are now useful.

 I dunno.  While the above two ideas may make the game more realistic, it also
makes it more annoying to play.  When you get an artifact above your level, you
can't really be sure if its worth keeping since you can't see the full bonuses

 My guess is that the result of this would be that people will just go to the
spoilers and other sources to find out what the item is and if its worth
keeping.  And of course, experienced players that have seen the full bonuses
from another character already know if its worth keeping or not.

       >  This way, the low level characters could see what they may

       > eventually get from the item.

       >  But I will note that case #1 has to be done before either #2 or #3

       > can proceed.  So it probably makes most sense to do that, and if

       > further refinements are needed, #2 or #3 could be done after the

       > fact without a lot of difficulty.

      Well I guess it's about time for me to get off my lazy ass and look at

      the server code...

 Such a change should not be to hard to make.  Off the top of my head, these are
the changes that should be made:

 add a min_level field to the object structure
 modify the load/save code to load/save that value
 modify the apply code (apply_special I believe) to look at min level.  While at
this, the player improved weapon code should be modified to use the min_level
value, as that then makes this code more common.

 Since object values default to 0, this would actually work quite well - items
with no set value would have a min level of 0, which everyone would equal or
exceed.