[CF List] Too stupid...

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Wed Jul 11 23:32:26 CDT 2001

Hm, you forgot one thing:
You should not find are be able to collect a artifact which is far beyond
your level.
Why? Well, because the artifact should be fit to the map level. We can
calculate a level
range which you need to clear a quest or map and the artifact should fit in
this.

I can't understand all the arguments, because many of the ideas and problems
you all are
talking about are old ones, which are solved often in normal muds. Most of
your ideas are
there realized before, so they are not new.

But that also explain a major weakness of CF. The whole game in this area is
very plain.
Means, no guilds, no skills you really must assemble, no connected quests,
etc.

If you ever plays a real mud, you will notice the difference. Most of the
muds are in server
structure (the technical part) much more simpler, also in the stuff you can
do.

But the "world" itself is much much more deeper.

Thats something i had tried to explain in the past ,and perhaps my bad
english has not cleared it.
Working on the server, including more options inside there will make the
game not much better, because
you will not invoke a big, noticable game play boost with it - the game is
good enough.

The only real game play boost will come from map design and "gaming design"
like quested or level
depending artifact for example.

Many muds have this leveled artifacts. Everquest for example has also
included "non drop" items,
to avoid special item trading. And so on.

Really, if we want make the game better, we need to rework the maps and what
you can do with it and the
way we handle things like race, skills (messed up skills like hiding, set
traps, etc), quest and artifacts.
(why have titans artifacts weapons?).

Ok, thats only examples, but most of the maps are about 8 years old. In this
time, the game play has
changed much, so its time to redo there something. With scriptfire, we can
include there fantastic
quests and maps, sadly no one works on real map sets yet.

      "Andrew D. Bagdanov" wrote:

      > This is a very good idea.  The full bonuses wouldn't even necessarily

      > have to be given, it could say something more ambiguous like:

      > It would be interesting to have to go through all the trash in your

      > apartment every once and a while to see if there are any artifacts

      > that are now useful.

       I dunno.  While the above two ideas may make the game more

      realistic, it also

      makes it more annoying to play.  When you get an artifact above

      your level, you

      can't really be sure if its worth keeping since you can't see the

      full bonuses

       My guess is that the result of this would be that people will

      just go to the

      spoilers and other sources to find out what the item is and if its worth

      keeping.  And of course, experienced players that have seen the

      full bonuses

      from another character already know if its worth keeping or not.

      >  >  This way, the low level characters could see what they may

      >  > eventually get from the item.

      >  >

      >  >  But I will note that case #1 has to be done before either #2 or #3

      >  > can proceed.  So it probably makes most sense to do that, and if

      >  > further refinements are needed, #2 or #3 could be done after the

      >  > fact without a lot of difficulty.

      >  >

      > Well I guess it's about time for me to get off my lazy ass and look at

      > the server code...

       Such a change should not be to hard to make.  Off the top of my

      head, these are

      the changes that should be made:

       add a min_level field to the object structure

       modify the load/save code to load/save that value

       modify the apply code (apply_special I believe) to look at min

      level.  While at

      this, the player improved weapon code should be modified to use

      the min_level

      value, as that then makes this code more common.

       Since object values default to 0, this would actually work quite

      well - items

      with no set value would have a min level of 0, which everyone

      would equal or

      exceed.

      crossfire-list at lists.real-time.com