[CF List] Too stupid...

Kimmo Hoikka Kimmo.Hoikka at Digia.com
Fri Jul 13 04:27:52 CDT 2001

      Hm, you forgot one thing:

      You should not find are be able to collect a artifact which is far beyond

      your level.

      Why? Well, because the artifact should be fit to the map level. We can

      calculate a level

      range which you need to clear a quest or map and the artifact should fit in

      this.

You forget the main point of this thread. The ones that can collect the
artifacts collect plenty of them and give them away or sell them to shops where
other players can get them even when the artifacts are far beyond their level.

-- snip -- snip --

      But that also explain a major weakness of CF. The whole game in this area is

      very plain.

      Means, no guilds, no skills you really must assemble, no connected quests,

      etc.

Real guilds should be introduced and skill system should be improved to really
separate character classes and to improve the game play. Advancing in guild
would be a good source of quests to accomplish.

-- snip -- snip --

      Many muds have this leveled artifacts. Everquest for example has also

      included "non drop" items,

      to avoid special item trading. And so on.

Leveled artifacts would be really good, that way we could have more meaning to
get to the levels > 100 also. Now the game mainly loses the point after level 60
or 70, nothing more to obtain after that than exp. A level requirement, so that
there would exist level 100 items also would keep the players interested longer
and also enable the mapmakers to do items for the really best players only (why
is the 110 level limit btw in exp and 107 in skills?). For lover level chars the
game could just act as it does with current weaponbuilder weapons: "the artifact
is too powerfull for you, it would consume your soul"

Non-drop items are not so good idea, since many players like to collect items
into a treasure chamber, which is a good hobby and keeps the game interesting
when you try to obtain all the items in the game. If items are non-drop the
player is forced to carry all the stuff around all the time and it is really
annoying since those non-drop items cannot go to containers so you end up having
million items in your inventory and that weakens playability a lot as we all
know (who have played a little more than little).

      Really, if we want make the game better, we need to rework the maps and what

      you can do with it and the

      way we handle things like race, skills (messed up skills like hiding, set

      traps, etc), quest and artifacts.

      (why have titans artifacts weapons?).

      Ok, thats only examples, but most of the maps are about 8 years old. In this

      time, the game play has

      changed much, so its time to redo there something. With scriptfire, we can

      include there fantastic

      quests and maps, sadly no one works on real map sets yet.

Some maps are old as well as some artifacts are old and some of them should be
reworked to make them playable (some are still broken). A few new maps have been
introduced during the last year, but all the new maps I've seen are plain boring
hack & slash. Kill this monster and get to meet the bigger one. Where have all
the good mapmakers gone?? I have had real fun playing the pupland quests for
years and I think those maps are the greatest in the game (not the wdsm quest
anymore, as it has been changed to plain hack&slash) since they are largely
connected, contain a lot of puzzle solving and have a good intrigue in them (not
just hack&slash)

- Kimmo Hoikka
-

     Kimmo at Hoikka.com