Guilds & Quests, was Re: [CF List] Too stupid...

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Sat Jul 14 09:34:23 CDT 2001

Le Vendredi 13 Juillet 2001 14:44, vous avez écrit :

       I think this really depends on what you want the guilds to be doing.

      IMO, guilds could still provide the following even for single players:

      1) Supply of certain good items (fighter guild may always have +2 full

      2) Ability to learn advanced skills.  This would require changing the skill

      3) Sources of information.  The alchemist guild should have all recipes

       Also, instead of using levels for various classifications, doing certain

      quests could be used.  So at the fighters guild, killing a certain creature

      may be enough to get you that advancement.  Really, probably a mix of both

      of these is best, withh the level requirement being a little higher than

      character would need to be do to it on their own (Repeat players may not

      want to do some quest for the 5th time they've played the game, and instead

      do some other maps, but still want that advantage).

     I didn't understood what you put under the term "guild". I was speaking about
groups of players Uniting Their Forces to Fight the Bad. You were speaking
about guilds implemented "inside" the game (with buildings and specific rules
maybe). Sorry for that confusion. And I agree with what you say about "ingame
guilds".

      I think the big thing missing in the reward outside the quest.  Now

     I had no time to work on script stuff last month. I'll implement functions to
give you experience in a particular skill now. Maybe it could help for quest
rewards ?

      The fighters should excel at fighting and get a difficulty, even at high

      levels, at magic and prayer.  Clerics should have a bonus to prayer but

      have problems with magic and fighting.  Dual class type characters, like

      paladins, would have the advantage of doing well at multiple things but

      will take longer to level up.

     I don't like the idea of "classes". It is a concept from AD&D and I think it
is too rigid. The problem is that it is now too easy for a Warrior to find
Wizard Knowledge. For example, it would be better if spells could only be
found in Wizards Guilds or in the depths of a Dungeon. If a warrior wants to
learn wizardry, he'll have to prove his valor first. Only very simple spells
should be in common shops. After all, as Merlin said: "Magic is not like
eating an apple: it is a little more difficult".

Chachkoff Y.