[CF List] An overabundance of money

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Jul 15 13:24:33 CDT 2001

       While ideas similar to this has been discussed before, it comes down to a mo

      basic quest of:

      Should all the loot a character stores aways/gathers be perfectly safe, or

      should other players be able to get it?

If loot in an apartment isn't safe, players (including ME) will simply
start storing loot on other characters, and not using apartments for
anything.

I really think the "problem" of an overabundance of money for successful
high level chars is insoluble in crossfire:  with infinite regenerating
maps, a player can always loot areas to accumulate wealth.

If you then take away this wealth to such an extent that a serial-map-rapist
can't get arbitrarily rich, then people who don't loot-in-depth will
all end up destitute.  And the game will suck.

I also don't believe it is a problem to begin with.  Successful players
get filty rich.  That seems correct to me, somehow.

If you want to use this "wealth" for something, just create maps
where players have to spend lots of money.

PeterM

      they keep on playing.  Maybe use of expendable items should be increased, re

      regenerating hp/sp is constant no matter what your total is, so when you have

      lots of hp/sp, you will start buying those healing and magic power potions so

      you don't end up waiting all day (right now hp/sp regain is based on total -

I really, really hate this idea.  I dont want to go shopping all the time
for potions.

       Another expenditure of money has been suggested needing repairs to

      armor/weapons.  While that would chew up money, by personal opinion is that i

      will just prove to be pretty obnoxious.

I completely agree.  I don't think the game should be about maintaining
your equipment any more than it already is.

PeterM