[CF List] race, profession, guild & titles

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Jul 14 17:43:28 CDT 2001

Scott Wedel wrote:

      While reading through the various posts, I had a radical idea on

      dealing with Crossfire money an artifacts oversupply issues.

      Rank the characters by the value of items in their castle which

      they have to pay to have constructed.  Castle construction could

      consist of so much per random premade level of which player can

      ask for repeated randomly created proposed levels until they get one

      they like.  Once player selects a level then it becomes a fixed

      map part of the game.  All monsters in the player's castle are

      friendly to the player and the player's party.  Player would get no

      exp for killing a monster in his castle.

 While ideas similar to this has been discussed before, it comes down to a more
basic quest of:

Should all the loot a character stores aways/gathers be perfectly safe, or
should other players be able to get it?

 If the answer is that it should be perfectly safe, then not a lot will change
with that.  I would say that players will generally say that stuff they have on
personally should be safe when the safe.  And if that is the case, the likely
result is that players will carry the good stuff with them when the save, and
may then only leave the crappier stuff they don't care about open to possible
theft (or they may just sell it all - if you think it may get stolen, why not
just get the money for it).

 I know for my current character, I have a lot of lesser powered artifacts
stored away not because I am likely to use them, but because there is no point
selling them (I already have enough money).

 But I do think the the idea of players being able to build/create monements
could be interesting.  Maybe characters could buy a wing of the museum, and put
some of their artifacts there to show others that yes, I have done this and
gotten these cool things.  Being able to buy different sized statues that you
can put different inscriptions on in the town park, etc. (a 2x2 golden statue
could be something like 100,000 plat, while that 1x1 stone may only be 1000
plat).  Only allow each character one statue at a time per park of course.

 But as I've said before, I think some problem is the never ending nature of the
game, which basically means players can accumulate as much money as they want if
they keep on playing.  Maybe use of expendable items should be increased, re
regenerating hp/sp is constant no matter what your total is, so when you have
lots of hp/sp, you will start buying those healing and magic power potions so
you don't end up waiting all day (right now hp/sp regain is based on total - it
takes C time to get all your points back, where C is some constant but all your
points vary.  things that increase/decrease regen rate obviously affect C, but
given the faster rate, the time would still be constant based on the total).

 Such a change would still make it reasonable for lower level characters (they
can just wait around for 15-20 seconds to get there 20 hp back), but for the
high level characters with 400, even with regen +2, you probably want to use
that healing potion.

 Of course, shops should have a never ending supply of some of these common
items.

 IMO, one reason money is no problem is there is no need to spend it on anything
at higher levels.  The character has regen +2 and sp +3, so getting back all
hp/sp is so quick that they don't need potions.  You find all the food you need
as bodyparts or in the dungeon, you have all the spells and skills, so no need
to buy any of those.  Maybe the only thing you might be is some of the
protection potions.

 Another expenditure of money has been suggested needing repairs to
armor/weapons.  While that would chew up money, by personal opinion is that it
will just prove to be pretty obnoxious.