[CF List] race, profession, guild & titles

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Fri Jul 20 15:17:51 CDT 2001

Le Samedi 14 Juillet 2001 18:21, vous avez écrit :

      Chachkoff Yann wrote:

      > Maybe implementing a list containing all the titles a character owns is a

      > good idea, and quite easy to do, so you can have a character like this:

       While there is only one 'title' string, there is nothing preventing the

      use of a very long string, which effectively amounts to multiple titles.

      It would probably make sense to make the title a string pointer instead

      something of static length, but thats a pretty easy change.

       I don't see the need for a list - if you really need to extract something

      from it, you can use strstr or the like.  But for most actual events, the

      inventory checker and invisible marker objects should probably be what is

      used. Optionally, msg values or the like in these marker objects could be

      used to generate a title.  Note that title is a player only feature

      (monsters do not have titles), which may be one reason that using the

      marker objects could be better.

When I used the term "list", I was quite vague about the way to implement it.
It could of course be done in an easier way than a linked list or something
like that.

      > Gros the bug keeper, Knight of Scorn, Apprentice of Occidental Mages

      > where "bug keeper" is just a nickname given by the player with no

      > practical use, and the others are titles useful in the game. Then the

      > player commands should be modified to something like:

      > nickname [name] : gives your player the nickname specified (the current

      > title command);

      > titles : display all your titles in the client log window.

       Is there a big reason for nicknames within the game?  Its not a hard

      feature to support (since it already exists), I just wonder how much people

      care about it or would look at them.

     It is a feature most players like to play with. It may just be a little
useless toy, but since most people like it and because it does not require
lots of resources, I suppose letting it would not harm. It also solves the
debate : I want it / Remove it; so we can still have the nickname system for
those that find it fun to use alongside with a complex title system used for
guild entries, quests, etc.

       Presumably, when people still talk/shout, it will just use the base name

      (Gros), and not the title information.  Otherwise, at higher levels, the

      titles would be longer than the message itself, which could prove pretty

      annoying.

     Of course, it is obvious. That's why I suggested a "title" command, so they
are not displayed unless you really want to know what they are (much like the
list of known spells).

Chachkoff Y.