[CF List] race, profession, guild & titles (Getting tired)

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Sat Jul 21 17:33:55 CDT 2001

Le Samedi 21 Juillet 2001 09:54, vous avez écrit :

      Chachkoff Y. wrote:

      Just a few non-techincal notes... ;)

      > [...]

      > - It may be easy to do, and there may be no good reason not to do it.

      > Then why no coder already made a model and published as a patch here so

      > anyone can test it ? Should I or Mich. Toennies go again alone to see it

      > included one day ? Where are all the coders gone ?

      Well, Crossfire isn't that large a project. We never had hoards

      of coders. And besides, it's summertime and some of us (like me) have to

      make their stand with exams.

     That I understand quite well (I had exams too), but the problem is deeper
than that - Sadly, it is not only because it is summertime; it has been so at
least for the last year. And I do know quite well that crossfire is not a
large project - That's why it is quite strange that decisions are taking so
long to take.

<snip>

      The critical point is always "who does it?", rather than "is it okay to do

      it?".

      Discussing things without anyone having volunteered to code it often

      ends at a dead point when everything is said and nothing is done.

      Personally I try to stay out of such kinds of discussions, but

      opensource means that anyone is welcomed to post ideas and discuss them.

     I never contested the principles of OpenSource, and I totally agree when you
say everyone is welcome. I never said the contrary.

      To my experience, the best way to go is the following:

      1) You have an idea, and post it to the list. Explain why it's

      cool/neccessary

         and ask if nobody has any serious reason against it.

      2) Code it (or get it coded by a friend). Never expect a "random person" to

         do it after reading the idea on the list.

      3) Post to the list that it's done, explain how it works and that it

         won't have any big disadvantages.

      4) Commit it to cvs.

     I agree with that scheme. It is the one commonly used in OpenSource projects
as well as in some "commercial" ones. The problem here is that it seems quite
difficult to reach 2). Instead of just "Here is the idea - What do you think"
followed by clear answers on the subject, we too often get endless discussion
about small details. This is what I am against - I totally agree with the
principles you defend here, and I usually follow them.

      This has always worked fine for me, and never caused inconvenience

      (well, I hope so).

     This has always worked well for me and others... As long as anyone follows
some simple rules, the first being trying to avoid saying "I don't like the
idea" without any good explanations. Another one is to never forget what
players do think about the program.

      > I'm sorry if all this sounds quite "rude", [...]

      > (I think I'll get *lots* of friends with this...)

      Don't worry, I understand your point.

      When you are in the CF community for a while, you'll get used to these

      kinda things. It's really not a big deal.

     If you understand my point, it is good. What I fear is that some people could
feel I attacked them and take what I said for themselves (which is of course
untrue).

Chachkoff Y.