[CF List] First trials

Nils Lohner lohner at debian.org
Sat Jul 28 05:08:54 CDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:11:35 -0400, Chachkoff Yann wrote:

     Le Vendredi 27 Juillet 2001 12:57, vous avez =E9crit :

      Well, I compiled the client and server on Solaris without problems:

      ~ > uname -a

      SunOS topaze 5.7 Generic_106541-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

      ~ > gcc --version

      2.95.2

     I am interested to know more about the server compiled on SunOS/UltraSpar=

     c.=20

     Do you get warning messages when compiling ? Are the performances good ?

Warning messages:
gcc -g -O2   -I../include -I./../include  -c metaserver.c
metaserver.c: In function `metaserver_update':
metaserver.c:136: warning: passing arg 5 of `sendto' from incompatible pointer type
...that's all.

Installation sugestion:
- have the 'maps' archive unpack into crossfire-<version/maps. and have
  the installer install them automatically.  $datadir is defined there.
  I had a problem with that too: according to some docs it would seem to
  want $pregix/games/maps, but in reality it seems to look in
  $prefix/share/crossfire/maps (which makes more sense). THis is
  probably just an INSTALL or README cleanup.

      Great game, but for a 1.0.0 version it definitely needs polishing.  The

      basic features are all there; just the way to use them and the

      intuitiveness needs to be improved IMO.

      BUGS/COMMENTS:

      - here's an error in a defaults file

      Unknown display specication in /u/lohner/.crossfire/gdefaults, xpm

     I never seen this. Can you send a copy of your error message ?

That _is_ the error message.
~ > gcfclient -server 127.0.0.1 -h
Unknown display specication in /u/lohner/.crossfire/gdefaults, xpmDo not understand option -h
Usage of cfclient:

-server <name>   - Connect to <name> instead of localhost.
-port <number>   - Use port <number> instead of the standard port number
...etc...

The client needs to support a -h or -help option too, and a -debug would
be good to see where it fails with connections (i.e. connectiong to
server:port etc.)

The server also should print a message telling which port it listens on.
I couldn't find that anywhere.

Here's the file:
~ > cat .crossfire/gdefaults
# This file is generated automatically by cfclient.
# Manually editing is allowed, however cfclient may be a bit finicky about
# some of the matching it does.  all comparissons are case sensitive.
# 'True' and 'False' are the proper cases for those two values.
port: 13327
server: 127.0.0.1
display: xpm
cacheimages: False
split: False
showicon: False
scrolllines: 36
scrollinfo: False
sound: True
colorinv: True
colortext: True
tooltips: True

The performance seems slow, both with PNG and XPM (PNG looks nicer
though... it also seems a little bigger).  Do you have any
performance-measuring code in the client or server?  That would be
useful... I think that the game may have slowed down when lots of items
were left lying around, even when I'm not directly on that map.  Not
sure though.

      - if .crossfire doesnt exist, does it get created?  I get errors like

      Could not open ~/.crossfire/keys, trying to load global bindings

      ...will it create this after a first run?

     No, it does not get created (not for me at last).

Hm.  Should it be?  The messages it printed out made me wonder.  I guess
it's harmless though.  It probably gets created when you save your
gdefaults.

      - after the first character I played, none of my characters have ANY

        melee weapons skils, no matter which race/type I pick!  AAh, I need to

        pick a type ( paladinl, etc.) before I can have any skill at all.

        This needs to eb a a FAQ

     This seemed quite obvious. But if didn't guessed it, it must certainly go=

     =20

     into the FAQ.

Better yet: put a panel in front of the exit with the info, and a gate
that the player needs to open.  That should take care of it.

      - arrows never seem to get added to my arrow count when I pick them up.

        Ah.  They go in teh quiver (likce the sack).  How do I put arrows NOT

        in the quiver into it, and how do I select which ones I want to fire?

     To put arrows not in the quiver into it, open the quiver (just like a sac=

     k)=20

     and drop your arrows inside.

I figured that out.  Its not obvious though... also: once a quiver and
sack are active, everything goes inside, right?

      - I picked up a cloak once and it didn't appear in my inventory.  Ah,

        the sack.  It should indicate how many items are in it (maybe in

        parentheses?) so you see when something gets added to it.

        AAh.  When the sack is open you can put stuff into it.  This needs to

        be documented somewhere; else its confusing for newbies.

     I like the idea of indicating object numbers in the sack. Maybe you are t=

     he=20

     first to ask for that; I've never crossed that idea before.

      - I don't like 'three shortswords'... make it '3 shortswords'.  Easier

        to read.

     Maybe, but I'm not sure. Some people prefer "three" instead of "3".

Easy.  It's client-side, so make it a configurable option.  Same for
'readied' 'worn' etc. I'd like abbreviations once I know what the
possible statuses are so that the window takes less space.

      - keys are difficult to figure out.  How the heck do you apply it to a

        door???  It keeps hopping into my sack.  I want to be able to click o=

        teh key, then apply and a direction.  I can't open the beginner door!

     Simply put keys in your inventory, not in your sack (close the sack befor=

     e=20

     grabbing it). It will be automagically used.

Ah.  I was wondering why keys in my sack vibrated when I got close to
doors.  Another FAQ maybe?

      - graphically, the 'live' characters need to stand out more from the

        items lying on the floor.  I can't see when I'm being attacked

        sometimes when clearing out an area!

     Do you play with XPM or PNG ? If XPM, try PNG instead, they are a little =

     more clearer.

Yes, PNG is better.

      - gravestones seem to stick around for ever. Why?  Expire them after

      a certain number of turns/hours/ etc.  Lots of items lying around

      (esp.  in hack-em-up areas) are useless, esp. if you can't eat them

      and can't

        really make money off them.  Orcs heads etc.  They should rot and

        the=

        disappear

     Not that although gravestones are useless, orc heads are not (try

     alchemy=).=20 And they get erased when the map gets reset.

      - if I can't save and quit everywhere, give me a PAUSE at least!

      (otherwise it's hard to play at work :)

     Pause is quite impossible (remember that the game uses client-server

     and=20 there may be many other people playing).

Hm.  True... maybe there could be an 'amulet of pause' or something that
teleports you to a safe location until you unpause?

Nils.