[CF List] First trials

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Sat Jul 28 09:11:35 CDT 2001

Le Vendredi 27 Juillet 2001 12:57, vous avez écrit :

      Well, I compiled the client and server on Solaris without problems:

      ~ > uname -a

      SunOS topaze 5.7 Generic_106541-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

      ~ > gcc --version

      2.95.2

     I am interested to know more about the server compiled on SunOS/UltraSparc.
Do you get warning messages when compiling ? Are the performances good ?

      Great game, but for a 1.0.0 version it definitely needs polishing.  The

      basic features are all there; just the way to use them and the

      intuitiveness needs to be improved IMO.

      BUGS/COMMENTS:

      - here's an error in a defaults file

      Unknown display specication in /u/lohner/.crossfire/gdefaults, xpm

     I never seen this. Can you send a copy of your error message ?

      - if .crossfire doesnt exist, does it get created?  I get errors like

      Could not open ~/.crossfire/keys, trying to load global bindings

      ...will it create this after a first run?

     No, it does not get created (not for me at last).

      - after the first character I played, none of my characters have ANY

        melee weapons skils, no matter which race/type I pick!  AAh, I need to

        pick a type ( paladinl, etc.) before I can have any skill at all.

        This needs to eb a a FAQ

     This seemed quite obvious. But if didn't guessed it, it must certainly go
into the FAQ.

      - arrows never seem to get added to my arrow count when I pick them up.

        Ah.  They go in teh quiver (likce the sack).  How do I put arrows NOT

        in the quiver into it, and how do I select which ones I want to fire?

     To put arrows not in the quiver into it, open the quiver (just like a sack)
and drop your arrows inside.

      - I picked up a cloak once and it didn't appear in my inventory.  Ah,

        the sack.  It should indicate how many items are in it (maybe in

        parentheses?) so you see when something gets added to it.

        AAh.  When the sack is open you can put stuff into it.  This needs to

        be documented somewhere; else its confusing for newbies.

     I like the idea of indicating object numbers in the sack. Maybe you are the
first to ask for that; I've never crossed that idea before.

      - I don't like 'three shortswords'... make it '3 shortswords'.  Easier

        to read.

     Maybe, but I'm not sure. Some people prefer "three" instead of "3".

      - keys are difficult to figure out.  How the heck do you apply it to a

        door???  It keeps hopping into my sack.  I want to be able to click on

        teh key, then apply and a direction.  I can't open the beginner door!

     Simply put keys in your inventory, not in your sack (close the sack before
grabbing it). It will be automagically used.

      - graphically, the 'live' characters need to stand out more from the

        items lying on the floor.  I can't see when I'm being attacked

        sometimes when clearing out an area!

     Do you play with XPM or PNG ? If XPM, try PNG instead, they are a little more
clearer.

      - gravestones seem to stick around for ever. Why?  Expire them after a

        certain number of turns/hours/ etc.  Lots of items lying around (esp.

        in hack-em-up areas) are useless, esp. if you can't eat them and can't

        really make money off them.  Orcs heads etc.  They should rot and then

        disappear

     Not that although gravestones are useless, orc heads are not (try alchemy).
And they get erased when the map gets reset.

      - if I can't save and quit everywhere, give me a PAUSE at least!

        (otherwise it's hard to play at work :)

     Pause is quite impossible (remember that the game uses client-server and
there may be many other people playing).

        Good game though... can get addicting :)

        Nils.