[CF-Devel] Skills

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Thu Jun 7 17:14:31 CDT 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Scott Barnes wrote:

      Is there any way to get a list of the skills a player knows from the

      server?  I'm hoping to improve the keybindings editor in the Gnome client

      by giving the player a drop-down list of commands and a drop-down list of

      possible options to the commands rather than just having them type them

      out, but I need a way to get that information.  If it's considered a

      security risk, I understand, I'm just wondering though.  I'm sure if it's

      a problem I can find a work around for it like I did with the spell dialog

      that comes up when you choose the Cast... menu item.

 If you type 'skills' with no option, it will display the characters
current skills.

 There is currently no way to get a cleaner version than that.

 Unfortunately, that may not be a really complete list.  Skill objects,
like lock picks, holy symbols, talismans only give the skill when they
are used, and thus don't appear in the skills listing (or only the
skill that is currently used does).  But when you then go to try and
use the skill, the server tries to find an appropriate object in the
characters inventory that grants that skill.  But skills by those objects
should certainly be available from pull down menus.

 But this gets a little trickier to track, as a player can gain/lose
a skill whenever they may pick up/drop an object.  So maintiaining
a 100% accurate skill list could be difficult.

 Of course, you could just list all the skills in the game, and if the
player selects one they don't know, it presents an error message.  Not
ideal either.