[CF-Devel] Iso CF start phase

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Jun 10 07:19:26 CDT 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      > I will now start to setup the arch, maps and server to ISO cf.

      > The Editor is ready for it.

      > ** PLEASE don't touch the CVS until i do the release today or next day**

      > I will use the CVS snapshot to do the client/server changes.

      > Because the script engine will included and i will make a windows

      > server/binary (with guile script) i will make some changes.

      I strongly disagree that CVS should be frozen for other updates in pretty

      much all cases.

Look, he didn't demand a freeze, he just politely asked to wait one single
day before doing big checkins.

      > [...]

      > I will setup the arch and maps in a way, we must touch every pieces to

      > transfer it to iso. The editor will have some commands to automate this,

      > for example a find & replace thing.

      I'm unclear what exactly this means.

      Non ISO support MUST REMAIN.  (or not, but if overhead view goes away, so

      might I).  I really really really dislike iso views for most games.  Yes,

      it looks nicer, but I find the playing of it a PITA. [...]

I just wanted to say that I am very excited about the work Michael is
doing here. Sometimes I wish his work would get a little more appreciation.
I personally believe that iso-view is great and worth going for - As
it evens the way to smooth gameplay with tiles being almost not noticeable
(for example). All the great games like Starcraft, Diablo, Baldur's Gate
etc,
they all use iso for good reason.

On the other hand, of course, I am also very grateful for the incredible
amount of time and work that Mark is donating to the CF project.
The CF project can only rise and shine as long as the dev-team is a team ;-)

When I look at the Angband project (another roguelike), there's an
"angband", "bangband", "cangband", ..., "zangband" - And all are split-offs
from a formerly single project. I hope this will never happen to CF.

Andreas V.