[CF-Devel] Crossfire Scripting Extension, version 1.0.0b11

gros yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Tue Jun 12 08:29:07 CDT 2001

Le Mardi 12 Juin 2001 00:16, vous avez écrit :

      gros wrote:

      > This is the latest revision of Crossfire Scripting Extensions.

      > What's new from b10 ?

      > - Some minor modifications in crossfire-message function (now allows an

      > optional color arg).

       Note that that feature may very well go away.  AT some time, the message

      handling between server and client will get updated, such that the server

      will tell the client the type of content the message has, and the client

      will then choose appropriate font and color to display it in.  In theory,

      these settings would also be customizable by each player, so some could

      have level gain info in red, while another could be using a bold font in

      blue.

I included it because of some players/map makers suggests. I didn't knew
there was a project about new message formatting system.

      > What is planned for b12 ?

      > - New script event triggered for armours whenever the wearer is being

      > attacked;

      > - Basic multithread capabilities for asynchronous script execution;

      > - Character controller modification by scripts.

       do we have any performance related information on the use of scripting?

       While having most every object have its own script (armor trigger event,

      weapon triggered events, etc), what will be the end result for having

      thousands of scripts potentially active?  Memory consumption? cpu

      consumption (even if threaded, unless on a multi cpu system, it means it

      will still be taking cpu time from other processes).  What I'm really

      getting at here is that before pursuing lots of objects having their own

      scripts, we may want to find out if the server will be able to reasonably

      handle that.

     Only 127 simultaneous scripts are allowed right now, so 'thousands of scripts
potentially active' is not going to happen. I also admit that I didn't had
multithreaded scripts in mind when I first thought about using the pthread
lib - I was thinking about solving some problems with spellcasting (A player
can sometimes be locked for several seconds before being able to react to
spells cast on him). I also think the multithreading of scripts could cause
some problems; that's why I didn't included any code related to that. I'm
doing lots of tests to see if it is truly useful/efficient.