[CF-Devel] Crossfire Scripting Extension, version 1.0.0b11

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Mon Jun 11 23:16:21 CDT 2001

gros wrote:

      This is the latest revision of Crossfire Scripting Extensions.

      What's new from b10 ?

      - Some minor modifications in crossfire-message function (now allows an

      optional color arg).

 Note that that feature may very well go away.  AT some time, the message
handling between server and client will get updated, such that the server will
tell the client the type of content the message has, and the client will then
choose appropriate font and color to display it in.  In theory, these settings
would also be customizable by each player, so some could have level gain info in
red, while another could be using a bold font in blue.

 I haven't come up wtih a complete list of message types - there will probably
be somewhere under 30.  But a quick list off the top of my head would be:

attack messages (you hit/you miss)
kill messages (you kill or your pet kills)
ability gain/less messages
resistance gain/loss messages
level/gain loss messages (overall level + skill would use the same code most
likely)
spell listing
shop listing
connected object related stuff.
and probably some others.

 When this is done, probably new categories will be found when going through the
code.

 the scripts should probably not 'spoof' these messages, unless it is really
doing that action but the normal procedure that would print the message would
not be called.

      What is planned for b12 ?

      - New script event triggered for armours whenever the wearer is being

      attacked;

      - Basic multithread capabilities for asynchronous script execution;

      - Character controller modification by scripts.

 do we have any performance related information on the use of scripting?

 While having most every object have its own script (armor trigger event, weapon
triggered events, etc), what will be the end result for having thousands of
scripts potentially active?  Memory consumption? cpu consumption (even if
threaded, unless on a multi cpu system, it means it will still be taking cpu
time from other processes).  What I'm really getting at here is that before
pursuing lots of objects having their own scripts, we may want to find out if
the server will be able to reasonably handle that.