[CF-Devel] major bug

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Jun 21 22:56:59 CDT 2001

dnh wrote:

      Well the only other class that can't use weapons is the sorceror. And

      melee scrolls don't affect race, so you don't have to worry about

      fireborn (and beholder). Basically currently only monk has meditation, the

      simple solution would be. If a player reads a scoll of melee weapons, and

      they have meditation make sure meditation is removed or fail to learn the

      scroll. This is assuming the scroll doesn't affect race (ie if a fireborn

      monk read it, it would fail regardless of whether the player had

      meditation).

 Ok.  I think I understand this a little better.

 The monk/race does in fact have the can_use_weapon attribute, it just doesn't
have a skill to use a weapon.

 Am I right in assuming that it is impossible for any other race/class combo to
get the meditation skill (through scroll or other means?)  If so, then it would
just mean that the monk reads the melee weapon scrolls (which would lose the
meditation skill), and then learn the meditation skill right back again.

 And while your simple solution works, this strikes me as having the same
potential problem with praying - a monk character accidentally reads melee
weapons, and loses his meditation ability with no way to get it back.

 But putting a check in when learning melee weapon to not let them learn the
skill they have meditation works, presuming they are the only situation where
this arises (ie, no one else has meditation, or if they do, they already have
melee weapons.

 This should be pretty easy to do - check out the learn_skill function DB.

 but it would probably be more interesting to revamp all of this.  As others
have been suggested, add guilds which is where characters can learn these new
skills or other abilities (you could have incremental abilities, like upon
attaining some level, you get a bonus ability of 15 sp if you go to the guild at
.... - basically do the same thing with guilds as suggested with altars - many
guilds for each class, but higher level guilds (which are also harder to get to)
might teach the more advanced skills

 Guilds could charge admission, and use the typical ways so that you only need
to pay once (marker objects).  etc.  But like the altar/god thread, this is a
bit of work, but I think it could add more flavor to the game, and also allow
for better balancing (if it is discovered the class XYZ starts falling too far
behind in power compared to other classes at some level, that guild could teach
some special ability that helps balance this - give out resistances, bonus
sp/dam/grace, etc.  You could only get this bonus once of course)