[CF-Devel] Crossfire on SuSE

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Thu Mar 1 22:49:02 CST 2001

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Bug #1: cfclient crashes when resizing. This problem has been GREATLY

      improved

      with the last patch on x11.c (Whoever did that one: Great work!).

      The client no longer crashes on expose events (e.g. switching screens),

      and it crashes only when I do big resizing and fast. (Before it used

      to crash instantly when I clicked on the window border).

      Still, it would be nice if this problem was 100% cleaned up. Here is

      a gdb core dump trace for the "crash-on-window-resize" with latest version:

 My guess from looking at the below is that there the problem is actually some
memory corruption issue.  First question, is this highly reproducible?  Second,
can you provide exact description on how to reproduce this?

      Bug #2: cfclient doesn't compile due to SuSE sound system. Fixing this

      problem is a must-do before 1.0 IMHO. (I personally get around the problem

      by replacing cfsndserv.c with an empty main routine).

      It would already suffice to do a check for SuSE system, and completely

      disable sound for SuSE. I don't care about sound, but the client must

      compile.

      Here is an excerpt of the compile logs for cfclient:

 I guess the question is - does the suse (alsa) sound system need a header
file?  I imagine this worked at one time, but its certainly possible that the
also system has changed and it needs a different header file or the like (or
maybe there is a developer package for this library that needs to be
installed?)  Someone using Suse needs to figure this out.

      Bug #3: Crossedit crashes when closing an item-window. I'd say fixing this

      one has least priority. It is probably most work to fix and it only affects

      "map-makers", not "gamers". I consider it bad but tolerable for version 1.0.

 Any gdb output or the like on this?  I can't promise with that anything will be
done with it, but this may be easy to fix.

 I do note that I believe that crossedit really isn't compliant with regards to
modern window managers, so it could be that the close method (if being done via
window manager) could be doing something crossedit doesn't like.