[CF-Devel] Crossfire on SuSE

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Mar 2 09:50:57 CST 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      > Bug #1: cfclient crashes when resizing. [...]

      My guess from looking at the below is that there the problem is actually

      some memory corruption issue.  First question, is this highly

     reproducible?

Reproduction rate is 100%. In short words: Yes. =)

      Second, can you provide exact description on how to reproduce this?

I click on the the bottom-right (any) edge of the cfclient window, hold
the button pressed and do zig-zag with the mouse. After a few seconds
the client crashes.

      Bug #2: cfclient doesn't compile due to SuSE sound system. Fixing this

      problem is a must-do before 1.0 IMHO. (I personally get around the problem

      by replacing cfsndserv.c with an empty main routine).

      It would already suffice to do a check for SuSE system, and completely

      disable sound for SuSE. I don't care about sound, but the client must

      compile.

      I guess the question is - does the suse (alsa) sound system need a

      header file?  I imagine this worked at one time, but its certainly

      possible that the also system has changed and it needs a different

      header file or the like (or maybe there is a developer package for

      this library that needs to be installed?)  Someone using Suse needs

      to figure this out.

The sound works on my system, since I always listen to mp3s while
playing/map-making. =)
So there is no additional package to be installed.

About the header files... Small is my knowledge about the SuSE sound
system. I can try including this-and-that header to cfsndserv.c and
see if I'm lucky enough to get it work. I'm not too optimistic though.
Again, what if we just build in an option to disable sound (for SuSE)
till we know how to get it work? It would be very good to have an
emergency option like "-nosound" for the configure script anyways.

      > Bug #3: Crossedit crashes when closing an item-window. [...]

      Any gdb output or the like on this?  I can't promise with that

      anything will be done with it, but this may be easy to fix.

I didn't include the gdb trace in my last mail because I believe
that it doesn't contain any helpful info. But take a look for yourself,
maybe it's just my lack of knowledge with the Xt toolkit.

gdb trace for crossedit crash:
(Crash happens when I click <OK> or <Cancel> on any
 item window. Reproduction chance: 100%)

0x82d86b8 in ?? ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x82d86b8 in ?? ()
#1  0x400a8587 in DestroyVScrollBar () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.7
#2  0x400ad719 in XawTextDestroy () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.7
#3  0x401e5d40 in Phase2Destroy () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#4  0x401e5b4e in Recursive () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#5  0x401e5b02 in Recursive () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#6  0x401e5b02 in Recursive () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#7  0x401e60a9 in XtPhase2Destroy () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#8  0x401e61ad in _XtDoPhase2Destroy () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#9  0x401eab4a in XtDispatchEvent () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#10 0x401eaf65 in XtAppMainLoop () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
#11 0x804b50a in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff824, env=0xbffff82c)
    at crossedit.c:142

      I do note that I believe that crossedit really isn't compliant with

      regards to modern window managers, so it could be that the close

      method (if being done via window manager) could be doing something

      crossedit doesn't like.

As far as I know, the bug has nothing to do with the window manager.
I tried with the modern KDE and the old fvwm2, crash happens on both.

Andreas V.