[CF-Devel] cfclient bugs and server issues

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Mar 2 10:02:18 CST 2001

Mark W. wrote: (in reply to Jochen Suckfuell)

      > [...]

      > Problem: The server doesn't see when my connection dies.

      > I'm sharing an ISDN line with other people and it happens that

      > someone cuts it while I'm playing. Then my player is still standing

      > where I left it and I can't log in again for another 10 minutes until

      > the server decides that I'm somehow absent! Luckily I haven't died

      > that way yet. If I just kill my client, the server saves and removes

      > my player correctly.

      This is purely on OS issue, and nothing that crossfire can do much about

      (there may be some tunables to make the connection die faster).  But

     simply

      put, with the way tcp traffic works, it does quite a bit of work to handle

      lost packets and what not.  A cut connection is basically just a lot of

      lost packets, so it takes some amount of retrying before it figures out

      that the connection really is dead.

Oh I think there is an easy way to get rid of the problem:
When a player logs on to the game we make a check if there already is a
player with identical username and password. If there is one, we simply
kick him out, allowing the "new" player to enter.
The only situation where a player tries to connect the same character a
second time is when his connection was cut. And this happens to everyone
from time to time.

Andreas V.