[CF-Devel] spell path & cause black death

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Mar 2 22:16:37 CST 2001

Michael Toennies wrote:

      I found that cause black death followed the PATH_NULL.

      Is this only to avoid to make them avaible from books?

      All other cause spells are from _WOUNDING

 Being available from books has nothing to do with the spellpath.  there is
actually a field in the spell structure that determines books chance, anothe
that determines scroll chance, another that determines wand/rod/staff chance.

 Now I'm not sure why this particular spell would be path_null instead of
path_wounding.

      Perhaps we can remove the PATH_NULL spells and add them to

      other pathes?

      We can use one "normal" path as "default" path where we add

      levitate and others.

      This path should be never forbidden through items or other effects.

      This will make the path thing much clearer.

 Why?  consider path_null the same as path_none or path_misc.  If you make a new
path and then make it so that no items affect the path, how is that any
different than just using the current path_null we have now.  I have a feeling
that if you do make it a real path, you'll find someone down the road making a
map or artifact that does change that path in some regard.

 If the spell doesn't need a path, then path_null works just fine.  I'm just
missing the point of what you are trying to fix/improve here.  If given the
choice, making no change vs making changes with no discernible effect, I'll
choose the no change option every time.