[CF-Devel] spell path & cause black death

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Sat Mar 3 05:26:21 CST 2001

      > I found that cause black death followed the PATH_NULL.

      > Is this only to avoid to make them avaible from books?

      > All other cause spells are from _WOUNDING

       Being available from books has nothing to do with the spellpath.

       there is

      actually a field in the spell structure that determines books

      chance, anothe

      that determines scroll chance, another that determines

      wand/rod/staff chance.

       Now I'm not sure why this particular spell would be path_null instead of

      path_wounding.

      > Perhaps we can remove the PATH_NULL spells and add them to

      > other pathes?

      > We can use one "normal" path as "default" path where we add

      > levitate and others.

      > This path should be never forbidden through items or other effects.

      > This will make the path thing much clearer.

       Why?  consider path_null the same as path_none or path_misc.  If

      you make a new

      path and then make it so that no items affect the path, how is that any

      different than just using the current path_null we have now.  I

      have a feeling

      that if you do make it a real path, you'll find someone down the

      road making a

      map or artifact that does change that path in some regard.

       If the spell doesn't need a path, then path_null works just

      fine.  I'm just

      missing the point of what you are trying to fix/improve here.  If

      given the

      choice, making no change vs making changes with no discernible

      effect, I'll

      choose the no change option every time.

Eh sorry, the reason why i want remove it don't come up with my mail and you
don't wear a helm of telepathy in real life. ;)

Simple: we had 20 named pathes + this path _NULL. The only reason why _NULL
is there is that it can be denied or mnaipulated, right?

Well, the spell list i create use '1' - '0' to jump to a page and i put then
2 spell pathes on it.

The 21st path _NULL don't fit in this.
Is just a question of "good design".

Why not put the spells in other pathes?

And just make one path as forbidden for manipulations.

It was just that it was somewhat of confusing because PATH_NULL don'T fit
in the the path system.

At the moment, i had put the 20 pathes to 1-9 using 7 times 2 pathes and 2
times 4 pathes
per page and give page 0 the NULL spells.