[CF-Devel] spell path & cause black death

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sat Mar 3 19:31:42 CST 2001

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Simple: we had 20 named pathes + this path _NULL. The only reason why _NULL

      is there is that it can be denied or mnaipulated, right?

 can not be denied or manipulated is what I'm guessing you meant to say.

 I don't believe that was the reason.  I believe the reason for most of the
spells is because they did not fit handily into any other classification.

      Well, the spell list i create use '1' - '0' to jump to a page and i put then

      2 spell pathes on it.

      The 21st path _NULL don't fit in this.

      Is just a question of "good design".

 that almost more sounds like you need an even number of spell paths, or am I
misreading that?

      Why not put the spells in other pathes?

 As said, some of them probably just don't fit really well.

      And just make one path as forbidden for manipulations.

 Which is what path_null does right now.  So why change that?

      It was just that it was somewhat of confusing because PATH_NULL don'T fit

      in the the path system.

 Not meant to - it basically mean the spell does not belong to any path.
nothing wrong with that - that is done in many areas (objects can have no
material for example, or no attacktype, and so on).

      At the moment, i had put the 20 pathes to 1-9 using 7 times 2 pathes and 2

      times 4 pathes

      per page and give page 0 the NULL spells.

I don't really parse that above line.

 I'm also unclear if the problem really has something to do with the current
number of spell paths, or the fact there is a path null?  If the number of spell
paths is a problem, the basic response is you'll just need to deal with it - if
we add a path_misc for example, there is still nothing preventing additional
paths from being added in the future, which would once again result in a non
nice number of paths.

 I guess I'm still not really clear why path_null is such a big deal.