[CF-Devel] Two questions

Tom Barnes-Lawrence the_real_tomble at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 00:28:17 CST 2001

Hi,
  I suppose the *first* one must be for Mark, he being the
main coordinatory bloke:

  The project is generally accepted to be aiming for Version 1
Real Soon Now, and it sounds like the idea right now is to be
mainly hunting for bugs and generally straightening things out,
which is fair enough; but, is the idea that:

  (a) We Finally have a Version 1 that is the wonderful official
    version, and some time in the future we will maybe have a
    Version 2 but we're not thinking much about that right now; OR
  (b) We get a nice stable version that people can actually play
    properly without crashes, so we have something to show for the
    effort, and to keep everyone happy whilst work continues on
    creating even better stuff, to lead to a Version 2 that we're
    more interested in.

(I presume the question is clear, I'm asking what sort of attitude
we have to Version 1: (a) means we think V1=ultimate, so not seeing
much further, but (b) means we see V1 as a mere stopgap before the
next stable version.)
  Probably many people would think somewhere in between, but I think
it will be only one or the other for the project!

Second question is a technical one, to anyone who knows for certain:

  I've designed a few maps, and a small number have floor tiles with
unique-flag set on them, so those tiles and their contents get
written to a file in "unique_items" dir. As many of them are work in
progress, but I often send my characters into the maps to test them,
I have the problem that I want to change maps that already have this
unique-object info. There is nothing on those maps that my characters
want now.
  Is the approach to simply change the maps and go back, and the
loader will notice the difference, and the unique items files will
update to show those tiles aren't there any more (I suspect this will
not work), OR, to simply delete the appropriate unique-items files
(I suspect this will upset the server if it *expects* to find them)?
Perhaps there is another way?

  If anyone answers this, can they say if they know because they
worked with the code, or because they have tried this themselves?

Thanks,
Tom Barnes-Lawrence (Tomble)
PS- FWIW, my document on random-quest-generator is nearly done but
pretty big. Expect it maybe tomorrow or day after, prolly on
ftp.uio.no, unless there's somewhere better. I'd rather not send it
to the list, as not everyone will be interested.