[CF-Devel] Two questions

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Mar 11 07:14:15 CST 2001

Tom Barnes wrote:

      Hi,

      I suppose the *first* one must be for Mark, he being the

      main coordinatory bloke:

      The project is generally accepted to be aiming for Version 1

      Real Soon Now, and it sounds like the idea right now is to be

      mainly hunting for bugs and generally straightening things out,

      which is fair enough; but, is the idea that:

      (a)We Finally have a Version 1 that is the wonderful official

         version, and some time in the future we will maybe have a

         Version 2 but we're not thinking much about that right now; OR

      (b)We get a nice stable version that people can actually play

         properly without crashes, so we have something to show for the

         effort, and to keep everyone happy whilst work continues on

         creating even better stuff, to lead to a Version 2 that we're

         more interested in.

      (I presume the question is clear, I'm asking what sort of attitude

      we have to Version 1: (a) means we think V1=ultimate, so not seeing

      much further, but (b) means we see V1 as a mere stopgap before the

      next stable version.)

      Probably many people would think somewhere in between, but I think

      it will be only one or the other for the project!

Sorry I'm not Mark, but answer is DEFINITLY (b).
Version 1.0 should be stable so we have something to show around -
after ten years of CF development I think it is time for this.
But we have a vague roadmap for 2.0 and it is already *huge*,
if not endless.
The second V1.0 is out, we'll start attaching "fancy patches"
again. It'll continue just like before.

      Second question is a technical one, to anyone who knows for certain:

      I've designed a few maps, and a small number have floor tiles with

      unique-flag set on them, so those tiles and their contents get

      written to a file in "unique_items" dir. As many of them are work in

      progress, but I often send my characters into the maps to test them,

      I have the problem that I want to change maps that already have this

      unique-object info. There is nothing on those maps that my characters

      want now.

      Is the approach to simply change the maps and go back, and the

      loader will notice the difference, and the unique items files will

      update to show those tiles aren't there any more (I suspect this will

      not work), OR, to simply delete the appropriate unique-items files

      (I suspect this will upset the server if it *expects* to find them)?

      Perhaps there is another way?

      If anyone answers this, can they say if they know because they

      worked with the code, or because they have tried this themselves?

You simply delete the unique map in the player directory.
Next time your player enters that map, it will be new loaded.
(Of course you loose the items you had placed on the old map.)

And yes, I did this myself several times. Because I've been
creating maps too. Btw, check out the mapmaking-guide I've written =)
<

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/map_guide/

Andreas V.