[CF-Devel] Oddities...

John Cater John.Cater at eng.monash.edu.au
Sun Mar 11 05:46:31 CST 2001

I started playing again today, after a long hiatus, with the latest CVS
version of the server, and the GTK client. (I have Slackware 7.0 Linux).

I took a character through PeterM's random quests from the king of Scorn
(which are really great BTW). I noticed that each time I completed a
quest and placed the required item on the pentagram I was teleported to
a little room and given a "reward", such as a sword etc.
However, each time I stepped on the reward to pick it up, another one
appeared beneath me, so that I ended up with two of everything - is this
the desired behaviour? Surely not.

Also, after I identified a firebrand it was listed in my inventory as
"firebrand firebrand +3", which seems odd.

When I went to pray at the altar of my god (Mostrai) I received the
following message numerous times:
"You recast the spell while still in effect" which was a little
confusing, since I wasn't aware that I was casting anything. Perhaps I
was being given a "gift" multiple times?

And another thing, after playing for a couple of hours I have a rather
large /tmp/crosservlog file (2 MB). Upon examination, I noticed it was
filled with the following messages over and over again:

metaserver_update: sendto failed, err = 111
metaserver_update: sendto failed, err = 111
metaserver_update: sendto failed, err = 111

Which I guess may have something to do with my connection/settings etc.

Also scattered throughout the log were messages like:

object demon having multiple resistances set, type=armour, old=30,
new=36

object earthwall having multiple resistances set, type=resist magic,
old=100, new=0
object earthwall having multiple resistances set, type=resist fire,
old=100, new=0
object earthwall having multiple resistances set, type=resist
electricity, old=100, new=0
object earthwall having multiple resistances set, type=resist cold,
old=100, new=0
object earthwall having multiple resistances set, type=resist confusion,
old=100, new=0
object earthwall having multiple resistances set, type=resist acid,
old=100, new=0
object earthwall having multiple resistances set, type=resist drain,
old=100, new=0

Are these map specific bugs? Or something wrong with the archs?

When I went into a random map with some bullet walls I got:

Can't read map file: No such file or directory
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_4 has no speed, but is on
active list
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_3 has no speed, but is on
active list
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_2 has no speed, but is on
active list
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_5 has no speed, but is on
active list
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_1 has no speed, but is on
active list
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_6 has no speed, but is on
active list
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_7 has no speed, but is on
active list
BUG: process_events(): Object lbulletwall_8 has no speed, but is on
active list

When I went into Goth's to talk to the DragonLord Emmissary I got:

 Adding friendly object Dragon Emissary.
Object lacks animation.
Object lacks animation.
Object lacks animation.
Object lacks animation. <repeated hundreds of times>

I hope this helps someone. I guess these are the kinds of things we need
to tidy up before V1.0

Johnc & Co.