[CF-Devel] Oddities...

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Mar 11 14:10:20 CST 2001

John Cater wrote:

      I took a character through PeterM's random quests from the king

      of Scorn (which are really great BTW). I noticed that each time I

      completed a quest and placed the required item on the pentagram

      I was teleported to a little room and given a "reward", such as a

      sword etc. However, each time I stepped on the reward to pick it up,

      another one appeared beneath me, so that I ended up with two of

      everything - is this the desired behaviour? Surely not.

The reason was a problem with altar_triggers: The second artifact
appears when the altar is reset.
What a nice coincidence that I wrote a patch for this altar_trigger
problem a few days ago. So I could easily fix this now. :-))

      Also, after I identified a firebrand it was listed in my inventory

      as "firebrand firebrand +3", which seems odd.

The screwy "double-names" were caused by unappropriate slayings
in the creators. Also fixed.

      When I went to pray at the altar of my god (Mostrai) I received the

      following message numerous times:

      "You recast the spell while still in effect" which was a little

      confusing, since I wasn't aware that I was casting anything. Perhaps

      I was being given a "gift" multiple times?

When you pray on your altar, you get "holy possessions" casted at
you (a gift from your god). Since multiple holy possessions don't
stack, you get this standar-message "You recast... blabla".
This would be quite tricky to fix, not sure if it's worth the effort.

      And another thing, after playing for a couple of hours I have a

      rather large /tmp/crosservlog file (2 MB). Upon examination, I noticed

      it was filled with the following messages over and over again:

      [...]

      I guess these are the kinds of things we need to tidy up before V1.0

Note that your logs get filled to 99% with "warnings", not
causing any real troubles (except big logfiles).
The true reason for these messages is typical for an opensource
project: Person A writes a function, and person B uses this function
in a way that person A didn't expect. So the function prints out
a warning.

However, I agree we should try to reduce these warnings to the
minimum amount where they make sense. An "object lacks animation"
message for example should be printed once, not hundred times.

Andreas V.