[CF-Devel] BUG: arena changes speed_left to -inf

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Mar 15 10:53:37 CST 2001

Mark W. wrote:

      > I got various complaints of locked players on my server, also

      > checked it myself:

      > When in the arena a player looses combat (read dies) and goes to

      > the hospital his/her "speed_left" becomes "-inf" (without the quotes).

      > Normally it should have a value between -1.0000 and 1.0000 (I think)

      > Result: the player can't move anymore

      > My server is running CVS of 2001-03-06

Looks like this one was more or less blind alert. The problem existed
on older versions but it has been fixed. Me and many other people have
played in the arena since - no "locked players" whatsoever.
Maybe the guys have used paralyzation and then thought the old bug
is still present. If not, the bug must be in the general dying code because
the arena (battleground) uses the exact same functions in the same order
and all.

      I notice another problem with the arena:

      If player A pulls the lever on the area (after bets are placed - on the

      space where the only thing you can do is pull the lever), the gate for

      the opposing player drops.

This is simply not true. The levers are connected to the gates
*in front of* the players there. Having no effect on the opponent's gate.

      If that player goes through the gate, he gets teleported to the arena -

      however, there is a player mover that robs speed from the player, so he is

      stuck (can't move out), and the other player is stuck because his gate

      hasn't opened (other player hasn't pullrd the lever before moving on).

According to what I said above, it is impossible to move on without
pulling the lever.

      End result?  Two stuck players.

Unless I greatly misunderstood you, what you describe cannot happen.
I have the feeling that you looked at the map via editor, but didn't
actually try it out.

      The more I play with the map, the more ways for players to get trapped/

      screwed up.  If there is only one player in the room where you pay for

      participation and he pays?  He's trapped in there, because the gate to

     that

      room closes behind him.

There is a break-away wall to get in/out when the spikes are closed. Should
be quite easy to spot I thought.

      The negative infinite speed doesn't seem to always happen.  I'm not sure

      exactly what causes it - probably something with the player movers, but

      there is nothing really obvious that would cause it (one thing would be

      if a player mover had speed 0 (or very low), it could result in that,

     since

      there is a division by the player mover speed, but if that is the case,

     then

      that function shouldn't be called (its only called when the players have

     time).

Could you verify the bug? I couldn't, yet I tried many times. I believe it's
unlikely that it has to do with movers. They work fine in all other places,
so why not in this case?

Again, referring to your statement above:

      The more I play with the map, the more ways for players to get

      trapped/screwed up.

That is an incredible tricky mechanism on the arena map. I made it as
secure as possible. But when players try to break it intenionally, there
will always be a possibility to get stuck.
To my knowing, there are two ways:
1) After both players stepped on the teleporters, one jumps off exactly
   in the second before it is activated. You need hell of a timing to do
   that, but it is possible.
2) One player bails out with word of recall during the enter-mechanism.
   (And the other player doesn't have WoR).
   I can't insert no_spell objects, since then the players can't escape
   when it is really neccessary (either due to 1) or server crash).

I have seen many people play in the arena, never seen anyone getting
trapped.
Everybody is welcomed to propose solutions to get rid of either 1) or 2).
Otherwise we have the choice to either accept the risk or remove the whole
map.

Andreas V.