[CF-Devel] Save points and stuff

Tom Barnes-Lawrence the_real_tomble at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 23:50:20 CST 2001

Hi,
  Just a short message, as its late, I don't want to hang about, and
my browser's cursor's disappeared making typing tricky...?

  As discussion has touched recently on the recent change on the
save-beds (ie-the one making you recall and wake up from dead in
the last bed you slept in), I ought to throw in the thought I had
been having before that idea was added, that involved adding
approx 2 or 3 new types, one- an "anchor point", and another, lets
say "scroll of anchoring".
  Anchor point is like a floor tile that certain areas, eg-cities,
remote islands, certain houses (like Brxl's house in stoneville,
but prolly not the perm. appartments), and the scroll is not a
readable or magic scroll, but a fairly expensive scroll that is
used a bit like the improve weapon scrolls, IE-anyone can use it,
and it doesn't use magic.
  SO if player wants certain area to become his new "home", he goes
to area of map that has an anchor point (would probably need some
sign or something) and uses scroll. As long as he is standing on
anchor point, it works and player loses scroll, otherwise it fails
and player *keeps* the scroll. When it works, the player then always
returns to that anchor point whenever he uses WoR or dies.

  What do you all think? It prolly wouldn't take much work, but
might be considered a waste of time as the save-bed code now does
this... But sometimes you don't want to return to those save-beds...
EG some quest maps, like the huge rainbow-islands temple under
pupland, rightly have save-bed in strategic points so you don't have
to finish them in one sitting... So now, you could finish such a
quest, leave, then get killed... and have to finish it again!!!Worse
still, you may have needed one-use keys to finish, and not be able
to go back for them a second time, or something like that.
   General feeling I had was that personally, I would prefer to
feel a certain place is like "home", and WoR or death returns me
*there*, not to some inn or something...

  (BTW, much thanks to Mark and AV for answering my questions last
week, very helpful, also reassuring to see that POV to future
of CF. I've not had much time to check my mail since, as I've
been mapmaking. And yes, for anybod that cares, that means my
random-quest docs are still only 2/3 done.Sorry.)

Thanks for your time,
Tomble (Tom Barnes-Lawrence)