[CF-Devel] Re: spells (fwd)

Peter Mardahl peterm at alfven.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Mar 18 23:31:51 CST 2001

------- Forwarded Message

To: Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at scruz.net

Subject: Re: [CF-Devel] Re: spells
             <

     3AB553F0.38C85FDF at scruz.net

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:05:19 -0800
From: Peter Mardahl <

     .

      > How it works and what do it?

       Tranferance transfers some of your spell points to someone else.  So you hav

      to cast it on another player.

Mark is correct, as far as he went.  Transferring TOO much mana
into a person can drive him insane and then make his head explode into
an enormous fireball.  "too much" is some amount greater than his
natural capacity.

      > "earth to dust"

       destroys (or damages) earthwalls.  Not sure if it has any effect on weak wal

      or not - it probably does.

It destroys earthwalls, doesn't damage them, I think.

      > "poison fog"

       Creates a fog that poison people as they enter.  I believe the fog slowly mo

     ves

      around.

Oops.  I should have done this one.

Poison fog:
This special prayer of gnarg summons a cloud of poisonous vapors which
pursues and poisons enemies of the player.

      > "magic drain"

       Believe it drains sp from the opponent, probably giving them to the caster.

Yes, just like the rune of magic drain.  In fact, this spell is used
in the rune.  You could use the magic drain spell to suck the power
from an enemy.

      > "fairy fire"

       Not sure.  If based on the AD&D form, it probably makes an opposing creature

      glow with light.

Yeah, I never figured out this spell either.  From my read of the scroll
I get the impression it's supposed to act a little bit like the immolation
special ability of Ruggilli.

      "dragonbreath"

      w e 1 si_019.png

      "A large cone of fire which mimics a dragon's breath."

      "Burning hands actually works better. "

      What may not be clear from the description is that dragon's breath is non

      magical, while burning hands is magical.  This means if you meet a magic immu

     ne

      creature, burning hands has no effect while dragon breath will still do

      something.

I won't swear to it, but I believe that Mark is incorrect here.
Dragon breath--when cast by a dragon, does NOT use magic.
When cast by a player, I *believe* that there is code which
ADDs the magic attacktype to this spell!

      "comet"

      w x 2 si_004.png

      "This is a very strong attack spell.  Used like a fireball, it inflicts more

     and

      special damage."

      "The comet does also damage when the target is immune to fire and physical

      damage."

      "Use it when all else fails.  However, keep in mind, it may take a great many

      "

      "comets to bring down a strong monster. "

      The comment as fired out will hit with physical damage (and quite a bit of it

     ),

      but the fire itself is otherwise similar to fireball I believe.

Well, unless someone changed it, comet attacks with WEAPONMAGIC!  for
the direct strike.  The FIRE is FIRE + MAGIC, so monsters might be
immune to the secondary effect, but not the primary hit.

      "cure disease"

      p n 4 si_081.png

      " This prayer cures *one* disease from your character."

       Should remove all diseases from the character.  This was changed a few revs

      to do that instead of just one disease.

Mark is correct.

      "identify"

      w k 5 si_098.png

      " This spell identifies all items in your inventory."

       Identifies some items in your inventory - typically from 3-10, depending on

      caster level.  Higher level = more items identified.

Mark is correct.

      "xray"

      w p 5 si_101.png

      "This spell allows the caster to see through one layer of wall...  for a whil

     e.

      "

       Not precisely correct - the amount of wall doesn't matter - basically, some

      area around the players line of sight is cleared.  I think for right now, thi

      always amount to basically a 3x3 area, which means you can see if a wall is 2

      spaces thick.

Well, so he can see through "one" layer of wall
but if there are "two" layers of wall, all he'll see is wall.
I think the description is reasonably clear.  :)   (I wrote that one for MT)

PeterM

------- End of Forwarded Message