[CF-Devel] destroying barrels

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Tue May 1 15:24:58 CDT 2001

      In the recent discussion concerning destroying boulders and barrels,

      I was surprised to learn that you are supposed to be able to destroy

      barrels.  Is this right?  I can't seem to do it.  I've tried using

      several different weapons with different attack types, and it always

      tells me that I miss. I've tried fireballs.  What works?

      In particular, it seems that you must destroy a barrel for a critical

      step in getting the white dragon shield.  (I'm avoiding details to

      avoid spoilers.)

      So one of the following must be true:

       * You can destroy barrels, and I'm just not doing it right.

       * You should be able to destroy barrels, but the code is broken.

       * There is another way to get to that square that I've missed.

       * The map is broken.

      Can someone tell me which one it is?

Barrels and boulders used to be destroyable with all kinds of bullet
spells. A few months ago large parts of the attack code have been
rewritten/cleaned up. During this process the ability to
destroy barrels got removed. I have no idea if that was done
intentional or not.

There's only few maps that really needed this feature, reception
water tower (-> white dragon shield - wds) is one of them.
As workaround for this problem I removed the no_spell area
under the critical barrels in the reception water tower, a while
ago. So you can jump over them with dimdoor.
Yet, the water tower quest is still in pretty bad shape
altogether, but that is another story...

Solving this barrel-problem is not very urgent. We could either
make barrels destroyable again, or we fix up the few maps to work
without that feature.

Andreas V.