[CF-Devel] Resist godpower +30

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Tue May 1 20:20:10 CDT 2001

 Just some various notes on this discussion:

 Why AC may be a reasonable defense against physical attacks,
realistically it probably is not a very good one.  AC/to hit is based on a d20
roll.

 At low levels, you can balance this pretty good.

 But if you have a level 100 monster, it basically means you need a -100 AC to
be immune, and if your ac is -80 or worse, it will hit you all the time.

 To be honest, I don't know what the best AC players at high level get. I'm
guessing in the -20 to -30 range?

 You could try adjusting the monster to not always hit, but the problem is
that if at -30 the monster hits 50% at of the time, at -20 it will hit 100% of
the time.  I could see this as very difficult to balance (at it could
basically fall into the same protection scheme - player maxes out there AC and
is now safe).

I agree to AV to the extent that once you start adding items with
godpower protection, you may as well assume that players will be able to get
90% protection in that (or anything else).  Map makers will see godpower
protection items already out there and figure it is OK to add more in, same
with new arch's and the like, and pretty quickly you could see where this
goes.  Its much easier to have a strict policy (no
godpower/weaponmagic/whatever protection items) than to try to say something
like 'try not to put too many of these in'.

 As far as survivability and lag:  This is a concern, but something tough to
deal with.  If it is made such taht a player with lag can survive otherwise
deadly situations, then that means someone without lag has that much an easier
time at it.

 Now I do think many of the attacks are too deadly too quickly.  bolt spells
don't last very long but do a lot of damage in that quick time frame.  Even
most had to hand combats against monsters go pretty quickly.  The end result
is that the same thing happens against the player.  Don't notice that bolt
spell under you quick enough?  Your toast, with or without lag.  While there
are lots of puzzles and what not, crossfire really is a fast action game, and
I don't know how much we should try to compensate for laggy connections.  If
someone has severe lag, they are really playing at their own risk.

 Hopefully, crossfire will get more out there so that more players will have
local servers with low lag time, and this won't be much a problem.  One reason
i play on csua is the <15 ms round trip ping times (compared to about 80 ms
for real-time).  no fault of real-time of course - it just the csua server is
located in a much closer proximity.  But when the connection is even really
laggy to csua, I park the character or do something safe (visit
shops for example) - I'm not going to go and do something dangerous and get
killed by lag.