[CF-Devel] The answer to ON/OFF attacktype protection!

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue May 1 22:43:12 CDT 2001

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      I have *the* answer to on/off attactype protection.

      I was considering how the Spell of Peace and the Face of Death

      are overpowered.

      The problem is that these guys get MANY chances at the same monster.

      The fix?

      You get ONE chance to hit the monster with YOUR Face of Death spell

      and ONE chance to Peace him.

      After a fail, you put an object into the 'victim' which prevents that

      spell cast by you ever working on him again. (Unless you advance

      a level and try again.)

      We can do this for paralyzation too.

 Reasonable ideas.  Perhaps somehow mark those objects so that at least when the
player goes to get saved, it won't save all those marking objects.  Or
alternatively, give them some speed and have them expire automatically.

 This means for example if you are fighting a skull and he casts paralyze on
you, and you do not succumb, this object is put in your inventory and gives you
say a hundred ticks before it expires - all paralyze the skull casts until that
expiration you are automatically immune to, but if you don't kill that skull
within that hundred ticks, he could hit you again.

  This works better for monsters casting on players than vice versa.  100 ticks
is typically enough times for a player to kill a monster, but if a player wants
to try that spell on a monster, 100 ticks is not a very long waiting time
(roughly 12 seconds - not 100 ticks is not an absolute value - it could be 250,
or 1000 for that matter, but in  all cases, player would almost certainly be
able to kill the monster, but not so long that the player couldn't wait it out
if the monster is getting that immunity.)

 I could also see some odd abuses - players wondering into area of paralyze but
not on a direct diagonal to get this immunity, and such that even if they fail,
they won't get clobbered by bolt spells.

 The other problem is that paralyze can be just very deadly - if you don't make
that first saving throw, youu are likely to be toast if youu are in direct line
of fire.