[CF-Devel] poisoning & demonologic tower

Tom Barnes-Lawrence the_real_tomble at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 23:43:49 CDT 2001

Mark Wedel wrote:

     For acid, [...] It has been sugested that items should have >>>quality

     ratings and thus get repaired.

     I agree this is a pain in most RPGs and we should consider

     this with care.

     One possibility is just acid (or other specialized attacks)

     damage equipment.

     However, the point remains that if you can pick up your -4 helm of

     gorokh and

     just go to town and get it fixed, acid at best it just an annoying

     attack (note it still does damage of course, but if repairing items

     becomes fairly trivial, might as well just remove the damage item

     feature).

     The only way that might make this challenging is to have repair

     item scrolls or the like, but if they are too rare, people will

     hoard them like crazy (and once

     again, have them when needed), and if they are too common, it once

     again has no effect.

  How about build some limiting factor into the repair- say the
acid decreases the magic rating, but also adds "wear" to the item.
The repair restores the magic rating to its original, but only
removes *most* of the wear (and then note that that wear that was
left is permanent wear). When the amount of wear that is on the
item reaches some level, say 10, it falls to pieces.
(lets suppose if this is implemented, we add archs "wear_perm" and
"wear_temp", which are placed in item's inventory, and a proportion
of wear_temp is turned to wear_perm when repaired. Or something)

  That, or when the item is repaired, it is only restored
completely to its "qualitly rating" if it has just suffered one
point of damage. If it has lost more than that, it's quality rating
is *also* reduced (probably just by 1). So if your +4 item gets
badly damaged, it can only ever be repaired to +3 after that, and
so on.
  Also, if repair is implemented as a skill, it should take A LONG
TIME!
Tomble (Tom Barnes-LawrencE)