[CF-Devel] Unclear crash

Tom Barnes-Lawrence the_real_tomble at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 20:30:43 CDT 2001

I've pretty much cornered it now, but I'm not sure what to make
of it- my bad or CF's?
Further experimentation had yet another server crash, but approx
20 minutes after logging in.So I figured it was almost certainly
to do with map resets. As I'd put in a unique-item tile with
machinery just before the 1st crash, I figured that may be involved.
And then I realised that there *had* been a logfile after all, but
it'd been dumped in my root directory. (Mebbe you should change
compile-time defaults for that?)
Looking through to the appropriate times, I found in each occasion:
resetting map tomble/prototypes/keep_prot-pt6
Internal error in update button(pedestal)
Internal error in update button(pedestal)
Internal error in update button(button)
Internal error in update button(plate)
Internal error in update button(plate)
<etc etc etc etc>
Fatal, too many errors
(Sorry I'm paraphrasing here, logs are on other machine which is
switched off.If you want an exact quote I'll look tomorrow)
  SO you get the point, there's no actual crash-bug as such, it's
just bailing out because of the errors, fair enough.
  But I don't get what exactly is wrong with my maps:
At other points in the log, it had also produced these errors, but
in smaller numbers- It looks as though the map I was working on
maybe wasn't horrifically screwed up, it merely gave CF *that bit*
more trouble. Apart from earlier versions of the Castle Lament
map, one of the market stalls (tomble/squishi/market/stall_2, IIRC)
also caused errors. But for the most part, both seem to work OK.

       There was a bug in 0.98.0 (and probably many releases earlier) >that

     would cause the server to crash if a character saved,

     but left themself connected to the server.

       Well, at least we can now say its not that.

       But it is very hard to try and figure this out just from

     a description.

       Any use now? I've not released the version of the map that
caused the crash, but the version that has been released, plus
the 2nd stall of the market do give that error (but less times),
so you or someone else should be able to verify crossfire's
complaints, and perhaps figure out what *exactly* it's upset about?
(according to Dnh, my initial release is already in the unlinked
directory of the map archive).
  If necessary, I can upload the specific map to ftp, or
get a proper quote of the errors in the logfile. Bye for now,
Tomble