[CF-Devel] Unclear crash

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue May 8 00:09:16 CDT 2001

 As said, the program is exiting because it gets too many errors.

 update_button is called whenever the button is pressed/activated.  If you are
using a button/plate, then all this takes is for some object (of appropriate
weight) be be on the space.

 Now what the error really means is that one of the objects that had the same
connected value has 'disappeared'.  disappeared could be any of various causes
-a monster that was killed, or some other destroyable objects.

 As currently implemented, connected objects must be permanent.   My guess is
you have some objects with connected values that are not permanent (note it
doesn't make a difference code wise that these destroyed connected objects may
not do anything - just anything with a connected value is put on the connected
object list at load time).

Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:

      I've pretty much cornered it now, but I'm not sure what to make

      of it- my bad or CF's?

      Further experimentation had yet another server crash, but approx

      20 minutes after logging in.So I figured it was almost certainly

      to do with map resets. As I'd put in a unique-item tile with

      machinery just before the 1st crash, I figured that may be involved.

      And then I realised that there *had* been a logfile after all, but

      it'd been dumped in my root directory. (Mebbe you should change

      compile-time defaults for that?)

      Looking through to the appropriate times, I found in each occasion:

      resetting map tomble/prototypes/keep_prot-pt6

      Internal error in update button(pedestal)

      Internal error in update button(pedestal)

      Internal error in update button(button)

      Internal error in update button(plate)

      Internal error in update button(plate)

      <etc etc etc etc>

      Fatal, too many errors

      (Sorry I'm paraphrasing here, logs are on other machine which is

      switched off.If you want an exact quote I'll look tomorrow)

        SO you get the point, there's no actual crash-bug as such, it's

      just bailing out because of the errors, fair enough.